VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi everyone,

i get 1 video dat file from my friend, he said "you never play this video file correctly". this made me very embittered. i tried play with any play include any codec pack (k-lite full, strom code) but can't see the video file only can hear audio (so like audio file only).

i tried to know what's problem and test with Gspot and AVIcodec can't detect what video file too.
    Anybody can help. how to play this video file and what's cause this problem.

this image is screen capture from gspot and avicodec
    [/img]

Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    It looks like a dat file from a VCD. Try convert it to a standard mpg using the old vcdgear. The video and audio will not be reconverted.

Or just try play with VLC Media Player and see if it works.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Hi,

Tank's to Mr. Baldrick had respone my request. I tried play with VLC Media player can't wokrs.
    Also convert with vcdgear, xilisoft video converter the result like before convert (only played the audio not video).

thx
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If VLC can't play it, then the file is likely audio only or it is corrupted/damaged and likely can't be fixed.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  5. Sorry, i forget inform this. this video file maybe had encrypted. this can played success with my friend's video player (he created). i saw the file maybe is video=disable by any program. but this i sure really video dat file not audio file.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Somethings fishy here...

You say this is a VCD-type .DAT file, yet Gspot shows an MPEG1 System Stream with an unknown Video type stream and 3 audio streams.
    Well, the only video stream types that are allowed in an MPEG1 System Stream is MPEG1 or MPEG2 video (really only MPEG1, but you can trick it into accepting MPEG2).
    Also, VCD's don't allow more than 1 audio stream. 3 is right out. This isn't acting like a VCD dat file, so it doesn't surprise me that you're having trouble.

Can you demux the video stream (using TMPGEnc, Imago, Xmuxer, etc) into a raw/elementary video stream? Then maybe you could post the 1st MB of it for us to check...

Where did this file come from that it would be encrypted?
    Standard VCD's don't support encryption, so this sounds like another one of those SouthAsian break-the-system copy protection schemes...

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  7. Thank's Mr Scott had replied.

Sorry had made anyone fishy.....

i really a newbie at this field.

i don't know how to demux. can you bring me the links. and what mean's 1st MB.

kevin
    Quote Quote  
  8. I had tried any demux programs likes TMPGEnc, Imago, Virtualdub. there are not support vcd video.dat file. only xmuxer can open this file. i see xmuxer only have audio file too. like this pic. (i played this file used my friend created player can view video file)

Quote Quote  
  9. Hello,

Anyone can help ..... please....

thx,

newbievideohelp
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Ok...(sorry was gone for a while, but now I'm back!)

Your screenshot shows an Audio PID. PID's are included in the MPEG2-Transport Streams and MPEG4 File formats...NOT MPEG1 or MPEG2-Program Streams/VOBs. This confirms that I thought it wasn't a valid VCD .DAT file. It's likely a TS file from some DVR. Use a TS (transport stream) demuxer or analyzer or converter. But my guess is that this particular file DOESN'T have video, it's just a companion file to another file that has the video...or it has a Private stream with encrypted Video (which your friend/source can see and make use of but nobody else).

I'd suggest you either move on to some other material, or play out to analog and then re-digitize it in a STANDARD format (like DV, MPEG2, DivX, etc).

Scott
    Quote Quote