VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Can someone please guide me to a simple answer.

"Does the PS3 plays media files stored on internal harddisk or via DLNA server (TwonkyVision no transcoding) which have DTS(5.1) as the audio codec. I am asking about original DTS not its new variants such as DTS-HD and so on."
    The PS3 might will play DTS audio tracks in movies on DVD (i have'nt tried DVD/BD with DTS/Dolby Audio Tracks and all their HD variants as well) . I have the BluRay and HD-DVD rips lying on my harddisk with AVC/H264 Video and DTS Audio and when I play them via PS3 all I can see is the video image on the LCD TV and no sound.

I have the PS3 connected to Yamaha YHT-185 5.1 Home Theatre system via Optical Cable (S/PDIF). This amplifier can handle and decode DTS audio l as written on it and in the manuals. I have selected the Linear PCM as the sound output option in PS3 audio settings. Do i need to set any other specific options in it.

I guess PS3 is not sending the sound data to the amplifier, since there is no signal on amplifier front panel, and when on the TV I press the movie info button ( in PS3 media player), I can only see the info about the Video Stream as AVC but no info about the Audio Steram is shown.

Thanks in advance for a clarifying response.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    "I have selected the Linear PCM as the sound output option in PS3 audio settings. Do i need to set any other specific options in it."
    No this is not correct. For digital surround sound via spdif it needs to be set to BITSTREAM.

Also be sure your sound jsetting is set to FIBER OPTIC or DIGITAL AUDIO OUT (can't remember which my ps3 calls it).

So you need to set the ps3 to BITSTREAM for any digital audio via normal dvd be it dts or dd5.1. THen make sure you have it set to fiber optic output or digital out NOT HDMI OR COMPOSITE.

Please note there won't be any sound out of the tv as it will go straight to the amplifier via the fiber optic cable.

You'll need to reset the audio output to how it was before to have it pipe through the tv speakers again.

Please post again if you aren't clear about anythinng.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote