VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have been trying to convert an .avi file to DVD MPEG using TMPGEnc, but it consistently crashes taking Windows with it (resulting in the infamous Blue Screen of Death). The conversion will run for a while before the crash happens. I've tried three different versions of TMPGEnc (2.5, 4.2.3.193 and 4.5.2.255) and all of them had the same problem.

I have successfully converted this file using Cucusoft Video Converter, but would like to understand why it is failing so spectacularly with TMPGEnc and, if possible, how to fix it. What's really frustrating is that I've had this problem before (also after a recent Windows reinstall) and I can't remember how I cured it!!!

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

H72
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I use TMPGEnc Plus v2.5, and the only time I've had it crash was when I enabled some of the advanced CPU stuff (specifically hyperthreading - the host CPU was a core 2 duo). However there are a lot of features I don't exercise, so you might look at any filters you have enabled.

You could also check the BSOD error log (use dumpchk to check the latest file in the \windows\minidump folder) to see which module crashed. It's possible it wasn't TMPGEnc at all, but was instead some driver or AVI codec.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've had a look at the Windows Event Viewer, but that didn't give any useful indications as to what had gone wrong. On the plus side, I may have cured the problem by installing the latest DivX codec. I successfully converted the avi file that was giving me trouble last night, but I guess only time will tell if this is a permenant cure!
    Quote Quote