VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hello

I am thinking of getting a Sony PSP and I took a video I downloaded that was 720p and converted it to a MP4 file that is supposedly PSP friendly.

I don't have the PSP yet so would someone with a PSP test this out for me? I'm curious if 1.) It works at all? 2.) Is the aspect ratio correct?

Would love to have someone try it out on the PSP itself as well as using the video out function to a TV of some sort (HDTV would be best).

Here is the download link: http://www.mediafire.com/?uzt0bmwwhrb

The file is only 13MB - 14MB in size with a running time of just over 1 minute.

- John "FulciLives" Coleman

P.S.
    The file is 720x480 and it fills the entire frame (no black) and is 16x9 anamorphic widescreen.
    Oh and the file name is ---> psptest.mp4
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    When I try to use $ony's Media Manager to copy your file to my PSP I get this:

"To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism; to steal from many is research." - Steven Wright
    "Megalomaniacal, and harder than the rest!"
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    BUT, when I use Windows Exploder to copy your video to my PSP it plays from my memory card just fine.

But the aspect ratio is off. Everybody is a little tall & skinny - black bars on the sides of the screen.
    "To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism; to steal from many is research." - Steven Wright
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Video is anamorphic and I was hoping the PSP could resize it correctly and I was under the impression that it could since I've downloaded videos (non-HDTV) on my PS3 that I can tell are anamorphic and these are supposedly compatible with the PSP.

"The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I just got my PSP and want to get some of my DVDs on it for when I travel.
    It's been so long since I've done this kind of stuff that I don't remember how to!
    According to $ony's official PSP site it will play MPG, AVI, and MP4, but none of my AVI or MPG files work...
    Played around with XVID4PSP last nite, but 2 hours to encode a 20 minute episode of Venture Bros? **** that...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well I made my test clip with XVID4PSP using the PSP AVC TV MP4 option (I think that's the name of it ... I'm at work now).

That template does force a 720x480 4:3 ratio but I forced it to 720x480 16x9 because I was under the impression that the PSP could handle that but maybe I'm wrong.

It is true that MP4 encoding can take a LONG time but note that the native resolution of the PSP is 480x272 and that XVID4PSP does have a PSP MP4 mode that uses that resolution. The good news is that it won't take as long to do 480x272 vs a resolution with a 720 width but the bad news is it won't look as good using the TV output option. However it is the option to use if you just want to watch ON the PSP and NOT use the TV output option.

P.S.
    Notice my original post is from Sept 2008 and as it turns out I went with the Apple iPod Touch istead of a Sony PSP but I do have a Sony PS3 and use XVID4PSP for that so I like to think I have some idea what I am talking about LOL
    Quote Quote