VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi does anyone know a way to make a new partion on my hp touch smart computer. Theres a 400 gig hard drive which i want to split in half. I am running vista windows business on it. I really hated to leave windows xp on my other computer and now have this one.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You would need a program such as Partition Magic ( http://shop.symantecstore.com/store/symnahho/en_US/DisplayProductDetailsPage/productID...0/Currency.USD ). However, simply creating another partition won't make your PC dual bootable and you will likely need to reinstall XP and Vista (likely in that order) to get your PC to dual boot properly. In which case, you don't need any special software such as Partition Magic because you can do it from the XP CD.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  3. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You might look at this guide: http://apcmag.com/how_to_dual_boot_vista_and_xp_with_vista_installed_first__the_stepbystep_guide.htm You can find other similar guides by searching the net for ' dual boot vista xp'.

I would also consider just adding a second drive instead for booting to XP. A external e-SATA drive will work the same as an internal one. One advantage is you wouldn't need to modify your existing drive. JMO, but I would rather use Vista instead of XP after some time of using the OS.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Download the g-parted live ISO and burn a CD using imgburn. Boot to this to make your partition changes.

After that you are one your own. It is possible to build a dual boot XP Vista machine after Vista is installed, but it is a PITA. You are probably better off running XP in a virtual machine instead.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote