VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I found this on MSN Video:

$35 movie ticket? One theater is banking on movie fans to fork over big bucks before taking to the big screen. CNBC's Phil LeBeau reports ...

http://video.msn.com/video.aspx?mkt=en-US&vid=d64ade03-fe2c-480a-947c-c4426b46a8a6

Absolutely stunningly amazing ... words can't describe my thoughts on this other than you won't catch me there 8)

Do they really think that people have the money to do this often? ... Especially in these times of $4.00 a gallon gasoline? ... It's mind blowing and mind numbing and just amazes me beyond belief.

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just join my boycott. IMAX was it for me last year. 5 times.

But alas, I do want to see to see one of Mark Cuban's 4Kx2K Sony projectors.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I haven't been to the movie theatre since late 2007 when I saw "I AM LEGEND" and even then I only went because I am such a huge fan of the original novella as well as the Vincent Price movie version and the Charlton Heston movie version.

I haven't seen one movie this year in the theatres. I really really wanted to see DARK KNIGHT but after waiting weeks for the crowds to die down I realized what-the-hell if I can get past all the hoopla of the first few weeks I'll just wait a bit longer and see it on Blu-Ray.

Although I've heard it is a treat to see it on an IMAX screen but oh well I'm a lazy bastard LOL

"The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    Quote Quote  
  4. it's worth it.lol dude nice seats and food.NO freak'n high school kids and teenagers running around
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    As far as I can tell the $35.00 is for one movie ticket and maybe free valet parking which I think is included in that price otherwise everything else is extra.

It's a total rip-off especially since they expect people to be blowing money on food and drinks etc.

Quote Quote  
  6. definitely not for a whole family.just for couples once or twice a year

I think you get some food with a glass of wine for free open bar for $35 will put them out of business
    you have to admit the seats are awesome .for sure no back pain when you leave the theater after 2 to 3 hours watching a movie
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Village started Gold Class over here, and it's been running for years. Their rival, Hoyts' have a similar deal called La Premiere. It isn't for every day, and it isn't for every film, but for a special movie every so often, it is a great way to do dinner and a show in one hit. Extra good if you are also paying for a baby sitter by the hour. Great seats, good food and wine, and no morons.

You guys are even getting a better deal. We pay AUD$30 per ticket, and all food and drink is extra, and no valet parking.

Of course you have to pick your movie to make sure you get value for money. The last Gold Class movie I went to was Moulin Rouge. There is a 2 hours of my life I will never get back, and paid for at premium prices. But for a Lord Of The Rings it is well worth trying.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  8. They'll have to pick their locations carefully. Something like this in my neighborhood will die an early death.
    "Shut up Wesley!" -- Captain Jean-Luc Picard
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote  
  9. It's all about impressing your date.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I haven't been to the movie theatre since late 2007 when I saw "I AM LEGEND" and even then I only went because I am such a huge fan of the original novella as well as the Vincent Price movie version and the Charlton Heston movie version.
    I had the feeling the you were refereing to his The Omega Man (1971) movie. It was a great movie. I could not remember the name so I went to imDB and found it.

Unfortunately, I was shocked to learn of his untimely passing on .. Oct 4, 1923 - April 5, 2008. And I didn't even hear one hint of it on the news, papers, or even gossip, about this. Instead, I had to learn of this indirectly while reading this topic over here. Still, if it weren't for this topic, I'd'a never known.

I'm also a fan of Vicent Price, though I can't recall ever seeing his version of "I am Legend" and I'm sure it is under a different name (and prob B/W) just as it was in Charlton Heston's, though in color I would not mind finding it on laserdisc.

PS: the last movie I ever saw in the theaters was the last Star Wars in 2007 I think it came out in. And before that, it was prob 5 years or more .. can't remember exactly.

-vhelp 4902
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I first saw THE OMEGA MAN on TV as a child and I loved it then and I love it now. My favorite film version of "I AM LEGEND" although none of them do the book 100% but one can say that about all of the FRANKENSTEIN movies LOL

The Vincent Price version is called THE LAST MAN ON EARTH. It had an official widescreen LD release through IMAGE ENTERTAINMENT right towards the end of the heyday of the format. However this movie is around in many bootleg forms on VHS and even DVD.

It was "late in the game" but MGM finally did a MIDNITE MOVIE release. It had THE LAST MAN ON EARTH on it as well as PANIC IN THE YEAR ZERO. A great buy for $10.00 at BEST BUY (which is how I got it).

However when the Will Smith version came out they did a new DVD which was the same thing at the same price but only had THE LAST MAN ON EARTH sans PANIC IN THE YEAR ZERO. Also since Fox now owns MGM that might have been a FOX release but it is the same transfer etc. as the double bill MGM release.

Should be able to find them for $10.00 - $15.00 on-line.

OK I just checked AMAZON.COM and here is what I found ...

MGM Double Bill DVD:

MGM re-release DVD:

AMAZON.COM has the double bill at $8.99 and the single re-release at $9.99 so you know which one to buy 8)

Quote Quote  
  12. I would rather spend the money on the Blu Ray version and watch it whenever I want to.Don't get me wrong I have spent over $100 on a date but I don't like taking a date to the movies,I would rather spend the money on something more fun.
    Quote Quote  
  13. No way would I pay $35.00 to see a movie. If I wanted to impress a date I would take her to a dinner and a show.
    Quote Quote  
  14. This theatre is clearly for the same people who would travel "Business class" on a plane, it's not for Joe Average. At least it'll keep the rift raft "Boyz" out, so if you want to go on a date with that high price model, this is the place to take her.

Anyways, a business class plane ticket costs 3-4x a coach ticket, so the price you're playing for this "High End theatre experience" is about 3x the usual ticket rate. Only time will tell whether there's going to be enough "high-end" customers to keep the place going.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Might be worth it if they threw in popcorn and a soda...

I do like the fact that in theory there will be no teenagers. Wouldn't work for my folks...My dad would fall asleep in one of the recliners before the previews. lmao
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That's really something! I suppose it's good for going on a date, but I can't imagine someone taking their whole family.....
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by spoken20
    It's too big price on that video I buy a DVD video it's only $10 how will you do the price is too big I have many video secondhand here I want to sale into $5 only.
    dude.did u watch the video clip before you typed this?
    Quote Quote  
  18. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by FulciLives

$35 movie ticket? One theater is banking on movie fans to fork over big bucks before taking to the big screen. CNBC's Phil LeBeau reports ...

http://video.msn.com/video.aspx?mkt=en-US&vid=d64ade03-fe2c-480a-947c-c4426b46a8a6

Absolutely stunningly amazing ... words can't describe my thoughts on this other than you won't catch me there 8)

Do they really think that people have the money to do this often? ... Especially in these times of $4.00 a gallon gasoline? ... It's mind blowing and mind numbing and just amazes me beyond belief.

as messed up as this sounds, in a way i can sympathize with the movie theaters for one reason: believe it or not theaters don't make alot, if any, money on the movies they show. allow me to explain:

for years i ran a pest control business and i used to have the account that serviced 6 loews theaters, and as such i got to be on pretty friendly terms with the managers. when 8 mile was released, i went to one of the theaters and the manager got me a seat for free, even the all the tickets were sold out. after the movie was over i commented to them that they must have made a killing with 8 mile, considering all the tickets for the showing had sold out; what he responded with floored me: he said that they didn't make a dime from the ticket sales, the theaters get the movie in a sort of consignment deal; basically, depending on how anticipated the movie was and how busy a location it was, the theater would pay up to 110% of the ticket sales for the movie for the first week, and the amount would decline as time passed, but it wouldn't go below 80% or so of the ticket sales.

even at 80%, when you factor in operating expenses such as salaries, electricity, rent, etc, theaters lose big bucks on the movies they show. so how do they make a profit? from the concession stand sales, which is why everything is so expensive, they need to generate the revenue somehow.

maybe the studios have decided that this location should be making more money for them and raised the cost of the movie, to the theater, to the point where the theater can't make up the money from concession sales.

i know it sounds ridiculous but without knowing what kind of deal this theater has with the studios, we really can't judge the business decision to charge $35 a ticket.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by deadrats
    Originally Posted by FulciLives

as messed up as this sounds, in a way i can sympathize with the movie theaters for one reason: believe it or not theaters don't make alot, if any, money on the movies they show. allow me to explain:

for years i ran a pest control business and i used to have the account that serviced 6 loews theaters, and as such i got to be on pretty friendly terms with the managers. when 8 mile was released, i went to one of the theaters and the manager got me a seat for free, even the all the tickets were sold out. after the movie was over i commented to them that they must have made a killing with 8 mile, considering all the tickets for the showing had sold out; what he responded with floored me: he said that they didn't make a dime from the ticket sales, the theaters get the movie in a sort of consignment deal; basically, depending on how anticipated the movie was and how busy a location it was, the theater would pay up to 110% of the ticket sales for the movie for the first week, and the amount would decline as time passed, but it wouldn't go below 80% or so of the ticket sales.

even at 80%, when you factor in operating expenses such as salaries, electricity, rent, etc, theaters lose big bucks on the movies they show. so how do they make a profit? from the concession stand sales, which is why everything is so expensive, they need to generate the revenue somehow.

maybe the studios have decided that this location should be making more money for them and raised the cost of the movie, to the theater, to the point where the theater can't make up the money from concession sales.

i know it sounds ridiculous but without knowing what kind of deal this theater has with the studios, we really can't judge the business decision to charge $35 a ticket.
    Sounds like racketeering.
    But as usual, the laws defend it because rich studios have lawmakers in their pockets, and no one can do anything about it.
    Quote Quote