VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello everyone. I'm having some very sporadic playback issues with playing different burned DVDs on my DVD player. First, let me tell you a few details. My DVD player is a Philips, model DVP642/37. I use Memorex 16X DVD-Rs. I burn all of my video DVDs to Data form.

At first, I was thinking it was the file TYPE (avi, mpg, mov, etc) that was being subjective with the DVD player. But it's so hard to believe that for a few reasons. For one, some movies will play if they're MOV format, while other MOV movies will not. Second, most of the time the DVD player will tell me "Codec Not Supported" when it refuses playback.

I tried to convert all my movie formats to (MOV) because I'm currently watching a series of videos that are all in MOV format, and they're playing just fine. Then, I decided to test even bigger by converting one file to several formats (making different files) and seeing what ones would and would not play. I used a converter I have purchased called Magic Video Converter to do this with. So, I took some MP4 files and converted them to MOV, AVI, MPEG, WMV, RM, and even SWF. I then burned them to a DVD, like normal, and tried playing them. Not even one file would play, and only two even showed up in the main menu.

After looking carefully, I see that I can select a few different Video and Audio codecs for conversion. They are:

Video-----
    Svq1
    Divx
    Xvid
    H263
    H264
    Audio-----
    AAC
    A-Law
    AMR Normal-Band
    WAV (pcm 16 little-endian)
    WAV (pcm 16 big-endian)

I'm looking for any and all advice on what I need to do to burn DVDs and play them on my DVD player. I have several movies of varying formats that I want to burn and watch, from FLV to MOV to AVI; lots of format types. What do I need to do? What codecs should I use when converting? What file types will and will not play? Please, any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

~ Vincent

ps:
    Also, if anything, I would greatly appreciate suggestions for DVD players that are good at playing back various formats/codec types. Basically, the best DVD player for burned DVD-Rs.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I would convert to avi xvid or divx for your Philips DivX DVD Player. And I would use WinFF, just load all your files and choose xvid and convert.
    Quote Quote