VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello,

I have had JVC DR-M10S 3 years now. It repaired ones whit warranty 2 years ago. Problem was "loading" crackle sound and shutting down. Now it's "loading" forever un-pluggin make it say wake up and then "loading". Repairing cost is like 200$ - 300$ just for labor.
    The main problem is over 200 un-finalized DVD-R disc recorded in VR mode.
    Is there any chance to finalize these disc whitout JVC DR-M10S recorder?

2 image for the recorder:

Quote Quote  
  2. Any help? How it is possible that theres no computer software for this.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    https://forum.videohelp.com/topic255081.html

It can be fixed by simply replacing the bad capacitors. This can be done for as little as $10. I paid somebody $25 to fix mine, and it took him about 15 minutes total.

You can finalize the discs in most of JVC and some Panasonic recorders.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank Discs • Best TBCs • Best VCRs for capture • Restore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  4. Tanks for the reply,

I have look that threat it's quite long

How do i know which are the bad capacitors?

Is there a list of DVD player which can finalize these dvd's?
    Quote Quote  
  5. If in Finland you can buy something then take it back if you do not like it (!), get a new JVC dvd recorder and finalise all your discs and take it back, take your M10S it to a friendly fixer and print out the relevant pages of the thread and see what can be done.

May be , after 3 years its time to call it quits and upgrade, try Ebay for a newer JVC dvd recorder.
    Quote Quote  
  6. We have 14 - 30 day money back guarantee but they dont sell these or any jvc dvd recorder anymore. Yes new recorder would be good but maybe not JVC anymore if it is possible.
    Quote Quote  
  7. PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    USED TO BE A UK Equipment owner., NOW FINISHED WITH VHS CONVERSIONS-THANKS
    Quote Quote  
  8. How about those players that can finalize my dvd ist there any list.
    Do this work Panasonic DMR-ES10
    Quote Quote  
  9. Do not know, wait 24 hours and I will record a dvd on my JVC and try to finalise it on my euro es10 - ok?
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    Quote Quote  
  10. OK thaks very much
    Quote Quote  
  11. Yes , recording a dvd on my UK M100S JVC and it finalised on the Panasonic UK ES10 !

Learn something new every day, the panasonic recording quality is not great though, and I am not sure that another panasonic dvd recorder would finalise the same but at leats you know that model does, well at least mine does !
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I would repair the JVC, you won't find a recorder as good as that one.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Thanks again victoriabears!

For lordsmurf: Yes JVC use and video quality is good but i fear that when i pay at least $100 - $200 for Repairing (if i don't find cheaper) it's gonna brake again week later.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Also two Panasonic DMR-ES35V is for sale on local market price is $200 so they may be gone already.
    Quote Quote  
  15. By to way victoriabears do you think it't matter if disc is VR-mode Video-mode. Most of my are vr-mode.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    VR mode is just another name for UDF format 2.00

Just install some type of UDF packet writing software on your computer (such as Nero InCD) and many drives will let you watch/copy the contents of an unfinalized VR mode disc. You should then be able to play the discs using standard DVD playback software (PowerDVD, etc.) or use something like TMPGEnc DVD Author to extract each title to an MPEG file on your computer. I've done this countless times with unfinalized VR discs, so I know it works. You still won't be able to finalize discs on a computer, however, but at least you can see what's on them.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Thanks piano632 i have a look on those softwares.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If the machine is truly repaired, it won't break again. The bad capacitors simply need to be replaced with better grade ones. End of problem, for good. Forget JVC or a "repair shop" -- find somebody that knows about electronics, maybe at a local school/college or cable company. They can do it, no problem. My Panasonic had the same issues, was fixed for $25.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Her has a wonderful picture of the guts of the machine, I bet LS could circle exactly where the problem is.

I do wonder if he has recorded 200 plus dvd's, is this machine on the way out anyways?
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Some school repair these but they so slow. They have my VHS one's 6 month and they dont even find the problem. In the moment i don't now any repairers. I think if i know what component to replace, i can do it to my self. victoriabears there's like 300 disc recorded.

Edit:There is old Panasonic DMR-ES10 the finnish auction site starting price is 100$ it's end 10.10 maybe i buy that or repairing in the shop cost like 35$ for finding the problem and 130$ for normal repair.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Slow? I got mine done in about 20 or so minutes. I brought it in and picked it up the same day. My problem machine was the JVC's sort-of sister unit, the Panasonic ES10. Both suffer a similar capacitor issue.

It's an easy fix for those who know their way around boards -- it's the rest of us (myself included) that tend to perceive it as "hard" because we simply don't do this stuff. I knew the problem, I showed him the caps a few days before it as fixed, and asked "can you replaced these" and he said "yeah, no problem". He did not guarantee it would work, but we were both pretty sure it would fix it. And it did.

------------------------------------------

The OP's photo is way to grainy too see anything. I can see some caps that bulge a bit, but none are obviously leaking just yet. Most caps are hard to see in the image. It's clearly from a cheap camera, a P&S of some kind. Here a photo of one of my bad caps (one of the obvious ones, because it both bulged AND leaked).

Quote Quote  
  22. Camera is olympus e510 so it's good but i don't have macro lens and lighting is poor. Here is the another picture i put an arrow the caps that are bulge.

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah, replace the odd caps, and you'll be good to go. I wish the local guy would be willing to take in projects, but the shipping and time required for posting packages would make it probably a $100 fix ($20-30 fix, $5-10 parts, $30-80 UPS ground total to+from). We talked about it, but it was dismissed quickly. Our thought was to tell others to find folks just like him locally for themselves. Those colleges, cable co's, satellite co's, and even high schools have the know-how, a person here and there.

On a side note, if you want a great lens, consider the Tamron Adaptall2 (converts to Olympus mount) and look into finding yourself the older Adaptall version of the Tamron 28-105 f/2.8 lens. It doesn't have a digital double-coat to it, so there can be aberrations at the max f-stop, but stopped down to about f/6.3 (f/8 if you only have whole stops) is as sharp as any glass I've even owned or used -- including Nikkor and Canon L. This exact lens macro's down to about 4:1 (or is that 1:4, I always forget), pretty good for macro (6-10 inches distance from subject). Slight image crop works well, and adding a 2x Kenko adapter really gives it a kick-butt macro feel. I don't feel the need to drop $900 on the Nikkor Micro lens, because of this. If you have the $$$ for filters, an 82mm macro filter of about +2 gets even closer. Total cost about the same as a macro lens, but you've got a "fast" zoom, plus a 2x for whatever other lens in the mix (i.e., convert 200mm to 400mm with -2 stop light loss).
    Quote Quote  
  24. I get three 2200uf 10v capacitors from the local electronic store these where the bulged one's and i replace those my self. The below are picture for the replacing proces i put the arrow replaced parts.
    Now when i start the machine it's blink couple times but then it's normal i have finalized 70 disc now i haven't try to record or play i finalize my disck first. Thanks for advice's.

For the lenses i have to look on those i have now these new macro filters http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.14169
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah, those filters are nice, but it's hard to beat the optics of a good lens, especially on digital sensors. Those filters, especially cheap ones, have aberrations, ghosting and flares from hell in the images. Unusable by most pro standards.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Yep you can't get good and cheap in the same box.
    Quote Quote