VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I'm wanting to buy this adapter to get a Video signal from my laptop to a LCD HDTV via an upscaling converter. Iam puzzled by the audio outlets. I understand that the VGA is only a video signal, why put audio outlets?
    Can anyone enlighten me?

"Whenever I need to "get away,'' I just get away in my mind. I go to my imaginary spot, where the beach is perfect and the water is perfect and the weather is perfect. The only bad thing there are the flies. They're terrible!" Jack Handey
    Quote Quote  
  2. That's probably component video, not composite video and audioL/R.
    "Shut up Wesley!" -- Captain Jean-Luc Picard
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote  
  3. That adaptor is for a specific device that includes audio and composite/svideo on a D15 port. It will not work with "normal" VGA ports at all.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks Guys, I'll buy it anyway as I'm sure the video outlet will work and it"s only $4.
    "Whenever I need to "get away,'' I just get away in my mind. I go to my imaginary spot, where the beach is perfect and the water is perfect and the weather is perfect. The only bad thing there are the flies. They're terrible!" Jack Handey
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by tweedledee
    I'm sure the video outlet will work
    Why are you sure the video will work? Composite/s-video is not standard on VGA ports (although some graphics cards and laptops have it on some of the otherwise unused pins). A simple cable can't convert VGA to composite/s-video.
    Quote Quote  
  6. The titling makes it look like it will work, but the price guarantees it won't. There would have to be some special electronics to make it even possible, but there's no way it could have that and sell for $4.
    "Shut up Wesley!" -- Captain Jean-Luc Picard
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote  
  7. You will may need a VGA to s-video scan converter:

http://www.cablestogo.com/product.asp?cat_id=3103&sku=27389

Note that s-video picture quality is far lower than VGA, even with the best scan converter. At best, the luma resolution will be about 640x480, the chroma resolution about 320x480.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm not trying to convert anything with this. I am sure I can get a video signal which I can convert this upscaling converter. I'm not going to slash my wrists over a few bucks, so if it doesn't work then too bad.
    At my age my eyes are not that brilliant and the whole exercise is just something to keep me busy. I'll let you know how it transpires.

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by tweedledee
    I'm wanting to buy this adapter to get a Video signal from my laptop to a LCD HDTV via an upscaling converter. Iam puzzled by the audio outlets. I understand that the VGA is only a video signal, why put audio outlets?
    Can anyone enlighten me?
    Won't work 99.98%. I'm tired of explaining the 0.02 % times it may work.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by tweedledee
    I'm not trying to convert anything with this. I am sure I can get a video signal which I can convert this upscaling converter. I'm not going to slash my wrists over a few bucks, so if it doesn't work then too bad.
    At my age my eyes are not that brilliant and the whole exercise is just something to keep me busy. I'll let you know how it transpires.
    If it works let us know. If it doesn't put some screws in that knife door.

All that does is poorly display SD composite at best.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by tweedledee
    I'm not trying to convert anything with this. I am sure I can get a video signal which I can convert this upscaling converter.
    That doesn't make any sense. You want to take composite or s-video from you laptop's VGA port (if it even has it) and the convert to VGA to feed a monitor? Why don't you just get a VGA cable and feed monitor directly? The picture quality will be far better.

And you still haven't said why you're so sure you can get s-video or composite video from the laptop's VGA port. Does the manual say your laptop has that ability? Does that cable manufacturer say it's for your model laptop? VGA and TV video are two completely different, incompatible systems.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Why don't you just get a VGA cable and feed monitor directly? The picture quality will be far better
    That's what I'm doing now. I am hoping I can get a better picture by placing this converter between them. Here is what they say it does.

Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by tweedledee
    Why don't you just get a VGA cable and feed monitor directly? The picture quality will be far better
    That's what I'm doing now. I am hoping I can get a better picture by placing this converter between them. Here is what they say it does.
    You will get a much worse picture, not a better picture.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    You will get a much worse picture, not a better picture.
    I bet you a couple of beers that I won't

I should be able to tell you in about 10 days, at that stage I'll be either gloating over my win, or humbly
    apologizing. Don't worry mate, the sun will still come up, even if it's a dismal failure.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Lock up those knives.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by edDV
    Lock up those knives.
    "Oh Ye of little faith" Just wait till next week. In the meantime the Knife drawer stays OPEN.
    Haven't you Guys realized that eBay doesn't sell crap??????
    Quote Quote  
  17. It's not a matter of faith. It's an understanding of how TV and computer video works.
    Quote Quote