VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey,

I have an .AVI which I need to re-sync. It goes out of sync around hafl way through and does not fix it self.
    Are there any quick/easy/free tool/s to fix this issue?
    I can also encode it to .WMV if there is a better tool for fixing sync in .WMV format.

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I use VirtualDub and/or AviDemux for my sync issues....but you may have something a bit harder to cure if the sync issue starts half way through.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    What are you playing it on? PC? Standalone DVD player?

If it's a standalone DVD player AND your audio is VBR (variable bit rate) MP3, then converting the audio to CBR (constant bit rate) MP3 and using VirtualDubMod to mux the new audio file in should fix the problem. If you are playing on a PC or your audio is something other than VBR MP3, then your sync issue will be very difficult and very time consuming to fix, if you can fix it at all.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi thanks for the fast responses.
    The files are played back on PC and the audio is CBR.
    So if it is CBR audio this makes life easier to fix?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by silmarallion
    Hi thanks for the fast responses.
    The files are played back on PC and the audio is CBR.
    So if it is CBR audio this makes life easier to fix?
    NO!!! It means your life just got a LOT worse.

VBR sync issues are quite common. When you have CBR audio, that means that you can't blame VBR for the problem, so there is no quick fix. If you can fix it all, it will not be easy. A quick way to try to fix it would be to shrink or expand the audio by a certain amount (assuming you can figure out that amount) but such work may just introduce other sync problems elsewhere. The only thing that probably would really work would be really labor intensive, where you chop up the AVI file into a bunch of smaller pieces, fix the sync in each piece, and then put all the pieces back together.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Here's a longish thread I found that might be of some help to you, but no guarantees. Sync issues are a real bitch to fix.
    https://forum.videohelp.com/topic316884.html
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks for the help guys, will look into the other thread and see if that helps any. looks like I'll have to give this one problematic file up, but this will be helpful for the future!

thanks again!
    Quote Quote