VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm buying a Dell Studio 15 and the default Intel chip for this model is the Intel Core 2 Dual T5750 (2.00 GHz/667Mhz FSB/2MB cache but for $125 more you can get a Intel Core 2 Dual T8100 (2.1GHz/800Mhz FSB/3MB cache.

I'm trying to include as many useful features as I can for a certain budget so spending the extra $125 for the better chip means I might need to leave other things out. So my question is this, since I will be just using this laptop for basic computing, internet, etc. (no gaming) would I really need or even notice that much difference in the T8100 over the T5750 with what I would be doing?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Look for a quad core.
    Quote Quote  
  3. But knowing Dell upgrading to a quad will cost $400. And a quad may not even be available in that laptop. The performance difference between a T5750 and an 8100 won't be much in most desktop situations.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks jagabo that was the answer I was hoping for!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Are the quad core mobile chips even available yet?

P.S. - if you're brave enough, the processor can be upgraded to a faster model with more cache at a later time and probably for less money when you decide to make the jump.
    Nothing can stop me now, 'cause I don't care anymore.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There is NO quad core for a laptop at this time! The video card is the most important on a new laptop.It is easier to upgrade drives and the cpu than a video card.Many Dells can not be upgrade(video) after purchase.I have a Dell Latitude with a T9500,but I am stuck with a 128mb video card. In my case this was the fastest cpu and video available.I knew to get that video card after a friend bought a base model of the same laptop. I upgraded his cpu,but the video was on the motherboard.I think they need to design a video card that can be upgraded via a usb slot or pcia slot.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Since the OP is doing basic stuff, jagabo is right, you won't notice the difference

Originally Posted by jeepers94
    There is NO quad core for a laptop at this time!
    Quadcore [s:2a06530393] laptops [/s:2a06530393] , er, I mean heavy a$$ mobile workstations have been available for over a year from botique vendors. e.g. Eurocom, Sager. Some of these support 3 HD, 2 video cards. Some are up to ~$10K with bells and whistles . Dumb IMO for the general user. Heavy, hot, and defeats the purpose of "portability"

You can upgrade videocards on some laptop models, but not on Dells (actually you can on some XPS models, the the majority will void the warranty and "not offically supported"). You can't configure much on their proprietary designs. Better to build your own from white box models if you want a custom build.
    Quote Quote