VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi!

I've spent a few hours new searching Google, this site and a bunch of freeware sites but I've been unable to find a DVD copier that meets my requirements. My checklist is as follows

* Freeware, preferably open source. No trialware/ shareware/ nagware please

* One integrated program that can copy DVD 5 and 9, protected or unprotected discs to either an .iso file or with integrated burning. Don't want one program to decrypt, one to shrink, one to burn etc.

* Must run well under XP

* Ability to choose whether or not to include menus and extras (not essential but preferred)

There are at least 2 such programs that do all this and work very well under Linux - k9copy and dvd95. If there is no app that meets all these requirements that is currently available for Windows then it would be great to see dvd95 ported to Windows.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    How on earth have you been a member for almost 3 years and not heard of DVD Shrink yet? But I do have to warn you that your requirement for having "one program do all" is a loser. Hollywood has some copy protection schemes that can't be read by DVD Shrink because it hasn't been updated in years. The only programs that I know that can read all of the current protection methods and are free only work as rippers and can't do anything else that you want.

We don't need dvd95 ported to Windows because, to be blunt, almost none of us care if we have to use different programs to do this job. There are plenty of commercial products that can do exactly what you want.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Of course I know about DVDshrink- it just doesn't meet my requirements as it doesn't integrate DeCSS. I'm not realy bothered about new, exotic forms of decryption- I just want integrated decss.

I would've thought after all these years there would've been something better than dvdshrink in the world of free Windows DVD copiers. Why would you NOT want an easier, integrated app for free like dvd95? Has the world of free Linux video tools now surpassed Windows in choice and quality? Certainly this isn't the case for commercial apps but I'm not interested in them anymore when ffmpeg, DeVeDe, dvd95, winff etc are so good now.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I refer you to my statement:

Originally Posted by jman98
    We don't need dvd95 ported to Windows because, to be blunt, almost none of us care if we have to use different programs to do this job.
    Just because it's important to YOU, that doesn't mean that everyone else feels the same. DVD Shrink works well enough for most people. In fact I actually use DVD Rebuilder for this kind of thing now.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    DVDFabDecrypter, DVDDecrypter, DVDShrink and ImgBurn are usually all I need. I do have AnyDVD too. Bought it for Mrs. Hech's laptop so I use it too. I even asked Slysoft if that was OK....and they said yes.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    DVD Shrink does have anti-CSS build in, and will rip discs that are only encoded with CSS, will re-author them, and basically fits your requirements.

However CSS is not the only protection being used today, and DVD Shrink is no longer updated, hence the use of other programs.

I find it funny that the fact that there is a single program under Linux that does something you like has you believing that there is a far greater range of software under Linux that Windows. Linux is still decades form surpassing Windows for the total range of software available to it, and OS X is several hundred years behind that.

However if you are that convinced that Windows application development is dead and Linux has it all, off you go.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The trouble with using only one tool, let's say it's a hammer, is everything then starts looking like a nail....
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    When I was growing up the kid across the road fixed everything with a hammer - his skateboard, his bike. Swore it was the only tool he needed. Until the front wheel fell out of the forks during a jump and cam down hard on the handlebars. Not long after he discovered the wonderful world of spanners.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Isn't AnyDVD + DVD Shrink + ImgBurn a one-click solution? I believe it is.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    But you have install and configure three separate programs, and if you don't have the imgburn modified version of Shrink then it is no longer one-click because you have to run Imgburn after Shrink completes it's thang. And then, of course, there is all that pesky clicking inside Shrink - to open the disc, to backup, and god forbid if you want to re-author.

Personally I blame Microsoft. The Start button should be the only button I ever need to click, and it should automatically launch whatever application I need at the time, complete that task, and then close again, without any further intervention on my part. Until an operating system can take all the responsibility off me as a user, it is nothing but a hinderence to my lifestyle.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Please let me explain

I mainly use Linux. I've used Linux since 96 and I work as a IT tech and I'm involved in numerous open source projects, so I can handle multiple tools but I'm catering for non-computer users who have been forced into it through their job basically.

As you can see I was unsure if dvdshrink did decss decrypting, but obviously it does. I saw no mention of that elsewhere on the web so I presumed a separate decrytpter was needed for ANY encrpted DVD disc.

There are still many more windows users and devs than for Linux, and have been for 20 years so of course there are many more Windows apps but the tide has already turned in LInuxs favour- about 2 years ago when the V bomb dropped. Are you going to stick with and patch up all the holes in XP forever? Windows 7 is a slightly modified Vista by the sounds of things. FOSS software is improving at a very rapid pace these days and now all the major hardware vendors support Linux too.

If Adobe ported CS to Linux it'd be game over </flamebait>
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by guns1inger
    But you have install and configure three separate programs, and if you don't have the imgburn modified version of Shrink then it is no longer one-click because you have to run Imgburn after Shrink completes it's thang. And then, of course, there is all that pesky clicking inside Shrink - to open the disc, to backup, and god forbid if you want to re-author.
    Personally I blame Microsoft. The Start button should be the only button I ever need to click, and it should automatically launch whatever application I need at the time, complete that task, and then close again, without any further intervention on my part. Until an operating system can take all the responsibility off me as a user, it is nothing but a hinderence to my lifestyle.

If Adobe ported over CS3 -- the entire suite -- then yes, I'd be willing convert one of my workstations to a Linux setup.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by guns1inger

I think you can do that with Microsoft's new Mojave Operating System.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    Isn't AnyDVD + DVD Shrink + ImgBurn a one-click solution? I believe it is.
    For the sake of using only freeware, could DVD43 replace AnyDVD in this chain?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I use DVD43 a lot and in the past year or so have not found any DVD that I couldn't rip with it. That said, most of my backups are older movies not likely to contain the very latest encryption technology but some have been new releases and I know it works with DVD Shrink and Imgburn. Still, for anyone looking for the absolute best freeware combination, it's DVDFab 5, DVD Shrink if needed, and Imgburn.
    Quote Quote