VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, I have a couple of .avi (divx/xvid) that are 700mb +/- 10mb...What Im wanting to do is to burn these to cd-r with the max quality possible, that is also compatible with dvd players (vcd..etc.)...There are many programmes out there that claim to do this but I am not sure how good they actually are, can some recommend a good programme that could help me...I also have Nero 8 but Im not sure if this will work...can somebody confirm if nero will work...Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. You can get a Divx certified DVD player for less than US$50. Most Divx/Xvid files will play without conversion. Get one with a USB port and you won't even have to burn CDs/DVDs.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You cannot convert a 700MB standard Xvid/Divx AVI to VCD and keep the quality and fit it all on one disc. If you want to create DVDs, then FAVC, DVD Flick or ConvertXtoDVD are good options. If you want to create VCDs then you will have to convert to low bitrate (1150 kbps) mpeg-1 plus audio, and split the file into 74 minute chunks.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    KVCD
    http://www.absolutevisionvideo.com

BLUE SKY, BLACK DEATH!!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    You can get a Divx certified DVD player for less than US$50. Most Divx/Xvid files will play without conversion. Get one with a USB port and you won't even have to burn CDs/DVDs.
    100% agree. Its the simplest, less time consuming and cheapest option you have. At worst, copy the divx/xvid file to the CD-R in file mode with Nero. If you've create them with standard options, you shouldn't have any trouble playing them.

You cannot convert a 700MB standard Xvid/Divx AVI to VCD and keep the quality and fit it all on one disc. If you want to create DVDs, then FAVC, DVD Flick or ConvertXtoDVD are good options. If you want to create VCDs then you will have to convert to low bitrate (1150 kbps) mpeg-1 plus audio, and split the file into 74 minute chunks.
    100% agree. A lot of work for very little payback.

KVCD
    This must have been a joke intended to take advantage of the inexperienced. Ignore it.
    Have a good one,

neomaine

NEW! VideoHelp.com F@H team 166011!
    http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=teampage&teamnum=166011

Folding@Home FAQ and download: http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the replys...

You can get a Divx certified DVD player for less than US$50. Most Divx/Xvid files will play without conversion. Get one with a USB port and you won't even have to burn CDs/DVDs.
    I have currently do have a divx player (xbox 360) which works perfectly...The reason I want to create a vcd is that I want to take couple of movies to a friends house, who doesnt have a divx player and his laptop doesnt have a tv out...so I assumed vcd would be the best method to play on his standard dvd player

KVCD
    I have played with KVCDs before (downloaded and burnt a few myself) and have had no problems with them...The only issue here is that I dont know how to create one from an avi file...also, by the looks of things neomaine wouldnt recommend these...any particular reason why?

Your help is much appreciated
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by waefwaeefwaefw
    I have currently do have a divx player (xbox 360) which works perfectly...
    I just wanted to make sure you knew of the alternatives to making VCDs and DVDs. It looks like you are!

Originally Posted by waefwaeefwaefw
    The reason I want to create a vcd is that I want to take couple of movies to a friends house, who doesnt have a divx player and his laptop doesnt have a tv out...so I assumed vcd would be the best method to play on his standard dvd player
    Unless your video is less than ~70 minutes and very low resolution you'll probably be better off making a DVD. KVCD is just a VCD that is not made to the official VCD specification. The farther away you get from the official spec the less it is to play in different players. Note that the DVD spec doesn't require VCD or SVCD support. Most will play VCD though. Many don't play SVCD. A DVD will cost you a few cents more but it is more likely to play and will give much better picture quality (assuming your source has any picture quality to start with).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Point taken
    Quote Quote