VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Okay, so my roomate bought one of these dvd players a couple years back. So far, we've had absolutely no issues with the dvd player. In fact, we have been quite happy with how it is functioning, it reads a lot of dvds many other players won't read. The divx/xvid codecs built into the unit are a great add on and I occaisionally take advantage of them.

Anyways, a problem occurred this evening when I had burnt a movie dvd. The player read the disc as it would any other dvd I've burnt and played in it except for the fact that it could not seem to decode the audio track which left us with video but no audio output.

The audio track was encoded with DTS and yet, although my research found that this particular player does support DTS, failed to decode the audio track. Could this be due to the firmware?

Current version is: VER1109 642/37 01 M 1

And is there a place where I can find information regarding this version of its firmware versus other versions?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The dvp642 will output dts through the optical output. If your using rca I don't think it will work. Mine is currently in the spare bedroom and hasn't been used for a couple of years.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Tripper_ is correct. I have this model and it absolutely will NOT decode DTS. You have to pass DTS via optical output to a receiver that is capable of decoding it. Firmware has absolutely NOTHING at all to do with this. DTS gets decoded via a special chip that costs money for the manufacturer to use it.
    Many DVD players do not contain this chip. The DVP-642 in its day was pretty cheap and I've never heard of any DVD player in its price range that was capable of decoding DTS.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Okay, any suggestions for a DVD player that does decode DTS? I mean, I was able to get DTS decoding through my PS3 when I inserted the DVD into it. Even though the PS3 seems to be capable of doing it, I'd like to have a stand-alone DVD player that can decode DTS.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    The PS3 costs something like $400+. I've read where it's really got something like $700 worth of hardware in it, but Sony willingly sells it at a loss. The PS3 is certainly not cheap and yes, for $400 I think you could expect it to decode DTS.

Oppo (http://www.oppodigital.com) makes some nice players that many like that are capable of decoding DTS. They aren't cheap though.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The old and once popular Cyberhome CH-DVD 500 was the only DVD player I ever owned that could decode DTS and downmix into stereo and output via standard RCA stereo jacks.

This player is long gone and this feature was rare then and I believe even more rare now.

Don't expect to find a DVD player that can do this (at least NOT for cheap) ... in short if you don't have a DTS capable receiver then don't use DTS audio on a DVD. There are tools that can convert DTS to AC-3 etc. so when you make the DVD you can use AC-3 made from the DTS.

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Or don't even choose DTS as your audio source when "backing up" your DVD's. There is typically also a DD5.1 track and often a standard stereo track.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote