VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Folks,

I've got 2 MAC G3 and G4 porwer PC with MAC OS 10.4
    I downloaded ffmpegX,
    I tried to find mpeg2enc compiled for G3 or G4. So, I decided to compile myself mjpegtools-1.9.0rc3 source
    I've got an error with the the configure script :

Code:
    ../..
    checking for jpeg_start_compress in -ljpeg... no
    configure: error: JPEG 6b library missing - Go to http://www.ijg.org/
    [ibook:~/Desktop/mjpegtools-1.9.0rc3] administ%
    I compiled and installed the JPEG 6b library source without error message.
    However, I've got thesame error message when I try to compile mjpegtools-1.9.0rc3 source package.

Need help ...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The pre-compiled binary mpeg2enc.intel, which is suggested by ffmpegX, is a Universal Binary for both PowerPC (G3/G4/G5) and Intel (Core Duo/Core 2 Duo/Quad Core Xeon).
    Very brave effort for trying to compile it yourself! 8)
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by dubis
    I downloaded ffmpegX
    I suppose ffmpeg? (the library with CommandLineInterface, and not a GraphicUserInterface aka ffmpegX?)
    I compiled and installed the JPEG 6b library source without error message.
    but you forget:
    Code:
    sudo make install-lib
    at the end (sudo make install only install binaries and not library)

bye
    For DVD, iPad, HD, connected TV, … iMovie & FCPX? MovieConverter-Studio 3 (01/24/2015) - Handle your camcorder's videos? even in 60p or 60i? do a slow-motion? MovieCam.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Herve -- he is talking about the mpeg2enc module used by ffmpegx, not ffmpegx (or ffmpeg) itself. He apparently did not realize that mpeg2enc.intel is a universal binary, and not limited to intel machines only, so he evidently sought to compile his own version of mpeg2enc. As Case pointed out, it was unnecessary work.
    Quote Quote  
  5. oh!
    (next time I will read the message more carefully )
    but above is the solution to compile libjpeg on OSX (first step to compile others tools)

PS to dubis : do you really want to encode videos with a G3?!? You're courageous or not in a hurry...

bye
    For DVD, iPad, HD, connected TV, … iMovie & FCPX? MovieConverter-Studio 3 (01/24/2015) - Handle your camcorder's videos? even in 60p or 60i? do a slow-motion? MovieCam.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Herve
    oh!
    (next time I will read the message more carefully )
    but above is the solution to compile libjpeg on OSX (first step to compile others tools)

PS to dubis : do you really want to encode videos with a G3?!? You're courageous or not in a hurry...

bye
    Well, you were helpful to me! There are some tools that I'd perhaps like to compile, so thanks for the tips!

And I agree -- with a G3, one must be brave, patient, or both! Good thing that he also has a G4. I have a feeling he'll quickly decide to use that Mac a bit more than the other one.
    Quote Quote