VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have been using a Panasonic stand alone DVD Recorder (DMR-T2020) for the past several years. It has been quite a workhorse, to say the least. Unfortunately, when it finalizes a DVD, it removes some of the Chroma from the video. Not sure if this can be repaired, but its time to get a new one, just the same. The one feature that I really like about this recorder, is that it allows you to type in the title and the name of each chapter, which is displayed when the finalized DVD is loaded into any DVD player. Does anyone know which DVD recorders on the market today come with this feature? I have another DVD recorder that displays a "thumbnail" picture for each chapter, but I would rather avoid this. Unfortunately, I have a feeling the majority of DVD recorders are set up this way. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know. Here is a picture of the menu I'm talking about. I'm looking for something similar to this. Many thanks. JOE

Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you're talking about "chapters" I now of no DVDRs that do this. I believe some older XS Toshibas have the chapters feature but Pannys along with any DVDR I've seen lately only allow thumbnails and titles for "titles" and not chapters. BTW older ES series Pannys have the handy feature of storing quite a few phrases. They dropped the phrase save feature with the EZ Pannys and you must now type in each title separately.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jjeff
    I believe some older XS Toshibas have the chapters feature.
    You are correct. You can name individual chapters. Unfortunately, these machines are no longer available new.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I would have thought most modern recorders will do what you want AND give you thumbnail pictures. Failing ths you could put them on RW's and import them to a dvd authoring package on PC. Then stylee to your hearts content, any font, any size, anywhere..all with a full keyboard.. plenty there to waste time on.
    Corned beef is now made to a higher standard than at any time in history.
    The electronic components of the power part adopted a lot of Rubycons.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I have a TOshiba KR2 which will do this. Quite an amazing machine really!

Hee's one on Ebay:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Toshiba-D-KR2-DVD-Recorder_W0QQitemZ300256844364QQcmdZViewItem?has...d=p3286.c0.m14

Good Luck.

--dES
    "You can observe a lot by watching." - Yogi Bera
    http://www.areturningadultstudent.com
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Those are titles, not chapters.

Older Toshibas are the only recorders I've seen where you can edit chapter names, but those have thumbnail menus.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What?

Finalizing has nothing to do with chroma. Chroma is part of the video signal, which combined with luma creates the image. Finalizing is a separate process of the disc, it has zilch to do with the video.

The menu in your image is a standard Panasonic menu, such as the ones from on the E50, E55, E80 and E85 series. The quality of those recorders is noisy, the luma is shifted green, and the IRE is wonky (dark, muddy) regardless of setting.

The best way to get a nice menu is to author on the computer.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK, I guess "chroma" is the wrong word. But something definitely happens after finalizing. The video on the DVD looks fine before finalizing (I can play it in the Panasonic DVD recorder before finalizing), but AFTER it finalizes, the colors aren't nearly as vibrant, and the the video looks slightly overexposed...even in the same Panasonic DVD recorder. Thanks for your post.
    Quote Quote  
  9. That looks like the E20 recorder. What you're seeing there is titles, not chapters. All DVD recorders make title menus. Every other recorder I've used, I had an E20, makes better menus than those.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by padrejo
    OK, I guess "chroma" is the wrong word. But something definitely happens after finalizing. The video on the DVD looks fine before finalizing (I can play it in the Panasonic DVD recorder before finalizing), but AFTER it finalizes, the colors aren't nearly as vibrant, and the the video looks slightly overexposed...even in the same Panasonic DVD recorder. Thanks for your post.
    This is a black-level issue of the Panasonic DVD recorder in question.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by padrejo
    As has been pointed out, finalising is an authoring process, and has nothing at all to do with the quality of the video quality. That is set during the recording/encoding process.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    padrejo

my dmr e100hs has a title page like that. for me it's ok, but I prefer the e95hs with the thumbnail, I can add title to either one, no problem.

I'd stick with the panasonic if I were you, perhaps pioneer, they seem to be the most reliable.

My 95 is my workhorse and I fear the hdd will give up in the next year, so I'm looking for insights into upgrading the HDD, but am patiently waiting for help.

Maybe by the end of the yr I'll hear something.
    Quote Quote