VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    How to convert rmvb files to a QuickTime compatible format using ffmpegX?
    Macintosh G5/1.8, 2giga RAM, MacOS 10.4.11
    Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    - Install reallib (PowerPC version, because you have a G5), like described on the site.
    - Rename .rmvb to .rm to maximize compatibility.
    - Open the source file in ffmpegX.
    - Test if the file is fully recognized/supported by trying the [Play] button in the upper right corner of the ffmpegX window. (Use the [q]-key to quit mplayer when you've seen enough; not the window-close button, which can cause an application crash for mplayer.)
    - Select a mencoder preset to convert to mpeg-4 (h.264/DivX/XviD).
    - Encode.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for responding.
    I have reallib installed.
    I changed the rmvb extension to rm and I tested the play button and the file was fully recognized.
    Even so, the conversion process is stopped after decoding 1/3 of the rm file.
    What could be wrong? I always decoded real media with ffmpegX but this time it is not working.
    If you don't mind, I am attaching the process info file that reports some errors that I don't understand what they are but maybe you could.
    Thanks again for your help

process%20info.txt
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The log shows ffmpegX thinks the source file is 29.000 fps and loads of duplicate frames. Try verifying the framerate in RealPlayer (Cmd-I). If RealPlayer says a different fps, then ffmpegX may have read a wrong value. Copy the value from RealPlayer's Clip Info to the ffmpegX target framerate setting in the Video tab.

The lines "1 duplicate frame(s)! 1 duplicate frame(s)!", at the end of the log, are not a stopping error in itself, like it is still busy?
    The errors at the start of the log are just the way the decoder works: trying different settings, until one is found that works. Those are not errors that could stop a running process.

You could try running an encode with "Open Terminal Window", to see if that catches the reason why it stops at 1/3, or perhaps continues after that.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for all the help but that particular rmvb file is impossible to convert, I think.
    I tried running an encode with "Open Terminal Window" (the last 2 lines are attached to this msg).
    I think the bit rate is variable and so is the frame rate. You can see for yourself.
    And I succeeded encoding an original rm file, much smaller, without any problem.
    Is there any other software that could do the job?

terminal%202%20last%20lines.txt
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by oicram
    Is there any other software that could do the job?
    You could hijack it with iShowU while playing in RealPlayer.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I hijacked the file with iShowU but the original rmvb file on a closer look is bad and the hijacked file turned out bad also so I gave up.
    Thanks anyway for drawing my attention to a nice app: iShowU
    Quote Quote