VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have created a DVD for some students of mine using DVD Slideshow GUI, Videostudio 11.5, GUI for DVDAuthor (Videostudio's menu creation system is painfully bad!), and PGCEdit primarily. DVDAuthor for the most part worked well and I just needed to tweak some things with PGCEdit, like making sure the next menu entry is highlighted once one video finishes. The DVD contains six main titles, and about twenty short bonus titles as an easter egg. There is just one small problem I'm having. The menu button on the remote doesn't take me to the menu (any of them) but instead starts the video over. I'm guessing this has something to do with how GUI for DVDAuthor created the disc. Instead of the titles being listed under their respective menus, they are listed under their own separate menus, maybe because they have chapters? These menus don't actually do anything, and in fact when previewed with PGCEdit just have a back button on them. They never show up on the DVD at all. Is there any way to either 1) change how the menu button on the remote works (which menu to go to) through PGCEdit, 2) have GUI for DVDAuthor put the titles under the menu they are called from so they no longer have unused separate menus, or 3) use PGCEdit to do the job of #2? TIA.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think I may be able to answer my own question. *IF* I am correct in the cause of this problem, I should be able to use PGCEdit to solve it. I can set the main menus to call the videos directly (JumpTT instead of JumpSS) if they don't already, then change the post command in the unused video menus to call the real menu instead of calling the video. I think I will try this tomorrow. Of course if you can still provide a better option, particularly if I am dead wrong in my thinking, then please let me know of it.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am not sure how Author structures DVD, but what you want to do may not work.
    It all depend on where that extra PGC is situated.
    From the end of the Title (post command) you can go only to Root or other designated PGC in same VTS or any PGC in VMG domain.
    If you are in Root, than you can link to other PGC. From VMG you will have to go to Root or designated PGC and from there using link to others.
    Apparently GUI for DVDAuthor supposed to have an option to set commands. That I learned from other posts, I personally do not use that software so cannot help there, but PgcEdit should fix it either way
    Quote Quote  
  4. 1. You are right!
    2. You can (more or less) do the same in GfD, but I need to know if you use dvdauthor or muxman as authoring engine. If you are used to PGCEdit, I would recommend to use muxman as authoring engine, the syntax is quite similar.
    3. If you do not need special menus for chapters, audio selection, or subtitle selection, turn of the 'Use Titlesets' option (except your videos have different properties - then 'Use Titlesets' is required).
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I use the default, which I presume is dvdauthor. I think I am going to try it through PGCEdit first, and if I can't get it done that way I will try your suggestions. In any event, I will definitely remember the use tilesets option. Actually, that sounds like it will be easy to implement so if I decide to do any other editing that requires a change in GfD, then I will use it. I don't really want to lose the changes I already did in PGCEdit, so that's why I want to try that first. Here's what the structure looks like by the way. There are a total of 27 titles, but the first few really represent all of them.

Also, this is really unimportant except for neatness, but is there any way to get everything in one split VTS like seen on commercial DVDs rather than separate VTS files for all of them? Will turning off the use tilesets option allow the disc to be compiled this way?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Will turning off the use tilesets option allow the disc to be compiled this way?
    Yes. Titleset is just another name for VTS (VideoTitleSet).
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Okay, thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just so you're not all hanging on this, I was able to do it as I guessed using PGCEdit. I did not know how to check that the main menus were calling the videos and not the unused menus for the videos so I was fortunate that they were. I just changed the post-commands on the unused menus and that took care of it. I did take a look in GfD at unticking that option, but it was greyed out- I'm guessing since the project was already started. I could untick it for a new project though, and I will in the future. Thanks all for your help.
    Quote Quote