VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,everyone Im in some serious need of some help with my computer,it froze so i turned it off and then when i tried to turn it back on,it wouldnt,the screen stays black,i changed the power supply to see if that was the problem but it still didnt come on then i tried changing the harddrive to see if there was a boot up problem but then it still would not turn on...so now i am confused on what the hell is going on an i really cant afford to buy a new computer right now.

also,when it comes on the hdd seems to spin still and the motherboard light lights up.fans spin (both of them) just computer won't boot up an take me to the windows screen.

please someone get back to me asap an help me out =(

and would the fan even spin at all if it was bad? i cant remember what happened last time when the power supply went out.

additional info - I know this is not a good thing but i happen to leave my computer on forever.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Perhaps the video card
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Where is the video card located? Cause i can try that,take it from my other computer an place it in the one that wont work to see if that is the problem,or do i need a driver an other stuff that would make it more difficult?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Normally that would suggest power supply(drives spin up, fans running), but try disconnecting any optical drives and try another boot up.

Break it down, remove everything that is not required for the system to boot into bios screen, get it back to basics (remove all drives, internal cards, external devices).

If it dose not boot then, remove battery, remove power lead, and jumper cmos to clear and leave in this state for a couple of hours.

Before repowering up, check for sticking keyboard keys, and those buttons on the case are working properly.

If you have a spare hd about, master it up and install for test, if system dose not enter bios screen, then it may be the mother board needs to be replaced.

May also be underpowered, make sure your using at a minimum a 400watt psu for newer systems.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    no text on the screen at any time during boot-up?

What model computer and / or mobo?

Have you tried to boot from a CD / DVD (or floppy?)

Do you hear any beeps or other sounds from the speakers during boot?

Have you tried a different monitor?

Try to boot up with keyboard and other external devices disconnected?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well I would try some of them things but I'm not sure what you guys are talking about but I'll tell you what has happened so far.

Last night I messed with it a bit more and removed a few things then reconnected it now I get the dell screen and then it beeps twice then goes to a black screen "strike f1 to retry boot,or f2 to setup utility" or something like that.I go into the setup utility and I can see almost all of my stuff there like dvd drive,cd drive,ram,but in the hard drive spot it says "not installed" So I can't seem to get it to detect the harddrive,I guess that would be the only thing to make it work again so that it would boot from that,.

What's a mobo?

I noticed that right under the cmos battery there is two sticks pointing up for a jumper to go over it but it had nothing over it,Computer was running fine without it until now,I put a jumper on it to see what happened and it just kept the screen black an it was kind of worse.

I tried a different monitor,So I know the monitor is fine.

I'm not exactly sure what all would be considered all I need to boot up in basic like u said "remove everything" but since the information I've now provided,I guess we can rule out that the motherboard needs replaced right? I also changed the power supply but did the same thing So I doubt that was the problem.I pulled a harddrive from a working computer an through it in an changed the jumper slots a few times but still the same beeps an screen.

Model-dell dimension 2400

I tried booting from the windows cd but same thing with the two beeps and "f1 ect..."
    I really hope you guys can help me now that I have gave additional information such as the beeps and all,This is just recently happening now.Thanks guys.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    *UPDATE*

I fixed this problem now,Thank you guys anyways,I'll explain how I fixed it and then this thread can be closed or left open in case anyone else has this problem.

Here is what I did:

WHEN THAT SCREEN F1 OR F2 SCREEN COMES UP MAKE SURE...
    1) CAPS LOCK LIGHT IS ON
    2) NUMBERS LOCK LIGHT IS ON
    3) SCROLL LOCK LIGHT IS ON
    ALL 3 LIGHTS ON KEYBOARD MUST BE ON...
    THEN YOU PRESS ...
    1) (ALT TAB) E
    2) (ALT TAB) F
    3) (ALT TAB) B
    THE COMPUTER WILL RESTART ON ITS OWN AND THATS IT YOUR DONE.. BIOS ARE RESET... THANKS AND LATER

Found the fix from a guy named roman on another forum,Credit goes to this very helpful person,Thanks and thank you guys here. =)
    Quote Quote