VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hey guys, i have 4 yr old camcorder Panasonic DS65. When I had just purchased it, there were no issues with capturing to PC and converting to DVD etc.

Now i used it after a long gap, took some videos, and am unable to capture the videos to PC - using the same PC. Obviusly the PC went through various software changes/upgrades through this time and probably this is causing the problem

I have tried :

Windows Movie Maker - as soon as i click on 'capture from video device - the program crashes

Win DV - it does seem to recognize the camcorder (as Microsoft DV camera and VCR) - however nothing really happens when I click on 'Capture' - moreover there is an error message - 'Can't create CaptureGraphBuilder'

DVIO - as soon as I click on 'Capture Video from Camera' - program crashes

Nero Vision - Failed to initlialize capture device. (even though the program controls the camcorder fine, i.e. plays, rewinds etc.)

Camcorder is connected to PC via firewire (same port that i used 4 yrs ago to capture videos successfully)

I tried Filmerit, repaired whatever it could repair- still no help

Any help would be much appreciated

Am using Win XP SP2

Kev
    Quote Quote  
  2. you could try installing the free enosoft dv package. it will install their codec in place of the microsoft dvdavi codec which might be missing/corrupt.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by minidv2dvd
    you could try installing the free enosoft dv package. it will install their codec in place of the microsoft dvdavi codec which might be missing/corrupt.
    It doesn't replace the codec (that's our Enhanced DV Decoder) but it does have some troubleshooting stuff including reporting problems to the Windows Event Log and DV connectivity troubleshooting in the help file.

(I appreciate the mention!)
    John Miller
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks for the message..

i tried installing the Enosoft DV Decoder, but still the same problem...
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe a problem with Firewire. Does it show up okay in Device Manager?
    You can also try to uninstall the device, it will come back on a restart.

Also a good point to start with: firewall. Do you use a 3rd party Firewall?
    A few treat Firewire as a Network, sometimes blocking access.

Good luck!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Try reregistering the qdv.dll and quartz.dll components of DirectX.

Start>Run> then type the below one after the other:-

regsvr32 /s qdv.dll
    regsvr32 /s quartz.dll

Reboot the PC and see if you can capture.
    "Just another sheep boy, duck call, swan
    song, idiot son of donkey kong - Julian Cope"
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by JohnnyMalaria
    Originally Posted by minidv2dvd
    you could try installing the free enosoft dv package. it will install their codec in place of the microsoft dvdavi codec which might be missing/corrupt.
    It doesn't replace the codec (that's our Enhanced DV Decoder) but it does have some troubleshooting stuff including reporting problems to the Windows Event Log and DV connectivity troubleshooting in the help file.

(I appreciate the mention!)
    hey no problem!

at one point i had your enosoft dv codec as default but had to change it out in the registry .dvsd key when it "expired", back to the ms one. i guess i had installed the wrong enosoft program?

@kev35 - how about starting the playback on the cam and then pressing capture in winDV? a new firewire cable might be another thing to test.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hey guys
    thanks so much for all the help

tried all the mentioned suggestions - still the same problem

(i tried the camera and firewire cable on a friend's laptop, where it all works perfect) - so definitely a software issue with my PC

tks

Kev
    Quote Quote  
  9. Our software has a diagnostics feature that you can use to send us detailed info such as which filters you have, any errors that are reported when trying to capture etc. If you wish to do so, click the large Configure... button and then Create Diagnostics Report and follow the instructions. The diagnostics aren't limited to our software - the info is system wide. I'll take a look and see if anything is missing/wrong.
    John Miller
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks a lot John

will do this asap, and post the report on the thread
    Quote Quote