VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I got Roxio Creator 8.2 XE with a Lightscribe DVD burner a while back; I haven't done a lot of DVDs so far, but have burned .iso files and CDs & some DVDs no prob.

Then I started this project to get all my old files and pictures and projects onto a set of data DVDs instead of the slew of CDs I now have backing up a number of my old computers.

The problem I'm having is that something isn't reading the file sizes right, or is missing some files in the folders.

For example, I will have a folder that under Windows Properties, and in Roxio's burning prep window, reads as 3.1 gigs; but then halfway thru the burn it quits, claiming that the files are 2.6 gigs over the 4.7 gig disc capacity.

The disc then is toast; I'm not sure where to look for the prob, I'm assuming its something with the folders themselves, not the files?

Its an XPsp3 machine with a gig of RAM, the discs are Sony +R DVDs, which always work OK otherwise.

what's up with this?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    could it be trying to reencode them? Are these video files? If so it could be reencoding them and bloating the files.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I would see what size Windows thinks the files are. It seem odd that the total would be that far off. As yoda313 said, maybe it's re-encoding for some reason. Or just use ImgBurn if you are making DVD data discs. It will tell you how big the totals are as you add in the files.

BTW, a DVD-5 holds about 4.37GB. The 4.7GB total is bad math from some DVD manufacturers.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    thanks guys; the oversize isn't seen until actually burning, which wastes the DVD. both Windows & Roxio see about the same wrong file sizes. I can see Windows Properties actually calculating the folders.
    The files aren't videos, mostly jpgs, txt, pdfs, downloaded installers, html, - the usual desktop suspects with only the occasional mov or wmv
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ahhaa
    the oversize isn't seen until actually burning, which wastes the DVD.
    Can solve this problem at least:

1) Use DVD RWs -- I have a couple I routinely use to test burn almost every project. They can be reused dozens or hundreds of times, I retire them only due to physical scratches. Even then there are a few that I can reliably read only 2-3GB from, but that's often enough to see what a menu looks like and test the video quality.

or

2) "Burn" to an ISO file, then you can see exactly how big it will be. If it's okay, burn the ISO to DVD. I think most burning apps will give you that option. ImgBurn certainly does (Output: Image file).
    Quote Quote  
  6. The code word is "Don't use Roxio".

Use Nero or Imgburn or Microsoft.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ahaa
    The files aren't videos, mostly jpgs, txt, pdfs, downloaded installers, html, - the usual desktop suspects with only the occasional mov or wmv
    Two things - make sure you are burning as "data" only. Also try a test burn WITHOUT the wmv or mov files. It might still be trying to reencode whenever it sees a video file.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    thanks guys- I take it from your comments that this isn't happening to any of you.
    I'd figured the DVD-RW angle, tho I've heard they are not archival unless specially made. My paranoia-ish concern is that I have some large invisible files from outer space (or Romania) on my HDs in spite of an up-to-date security suite.
    I do remember from an old version there was a choice in the burning options of faster read or more on the disc, but that doesn't seem present here. As windows sees the same size folders as Roxio (pre-burn) I'm not able to pinpoint a filetype except by russian roulette...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ahhaa
    thanks guys- I take it from your comments that this isn't happening to any of you.
    I'd figured the DVD-RW angle, tho I've heard they are not archival unless specially made.
    The idea is that you can use them for test burns to see what's happening, not keep them.

Compare the files on the DVD with those on your hard disk.
    Quote Quote