VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    First of all hi everybody , i'm writing here for the first time.
    I have a very annoying but not common problem with playing an uncompressed .avi file.
    I used 8 different Video softwares(such as Virtual dub,Flashants, After Eff, ...) for creating an uncompressed .avi video.
    After rendering, i opened the videos with several players(mediaplayer 11, cyberlink powerDVD,...), but the screen reamins black, however the player keeps running, and everything seems to be fine, just the image is black.

Now,...i tried many possibilities of resolving the problem, one of them, the most important is that after re-rendering the video file with any codec (mpeg1, 2, dvix, cinepack ...) its working.!!

But the problem remains: can't play the uncompressed avi.

Possible problems:
    1. the codec, what makes the uncompressed .avi / or video for windows files.
    (in this case what to do? because this codec is supplied by microsoft...i think. Uncompressed rgb32...via... DIB Full Frames)
    2.graphic card, hard disk, ...hardware issue. (but i have a new computer, and the old one didn't have this problem)
    3. third party codec supplied by Nero or power DVD, and needs activation.????

Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Start by opening the file with g-spot and confirming that it is what you think it is.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ok.. very smart program. g-spot!!! i like it.

The info:
    Container: File lenght correct, AVI v1.0,video 29,6mb 99,92%, AVI OVERHEAD: 25,5kb 0,08%
    Video box the codec is: DIB (_RGB), name: BI_RGB Raw Bitmap

Now the weird part remains:
    In the box for proposed codecs solution and tests:
    The G-spot proposed solution is :Unable render the video.
    Microsoft rendering solution is working in the same way as i described: playing but the video remains black.
    Actually its says that the render is ok, and showing a bunch of dlls, ax, mediasubtype_avis... about the route of functionality.

I can't figure out what the problem might be.
    Maybe i need info about "DIB (_RGB), and BI_RGB Raw Bitmap".
    Quote Quote  
  4. Try viewing the video in two media players at the same time. Does one look fine? If so, your computer is having some kind of problem displaying RGB data via the graphics card's Video Overlay feature.

I've never seen a computer have problems displaying RGB but not YV12 of YUY2 video. But try fiddling with the graphics drivers video overly settings (disabling hardware acceleration and re-enabling it might be enough). Or updating to the latest WHQL certified drivers.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    -viewing the video in two media players at the same time-----checked
    -disabling hardware acceleration and re-enabling -----checked
    -updating to the latest WHQL certified drivers -----done!

What other options do you recommned me, guys?????

(my graphic card: saphire ATI 3870 Toxic.)
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by RYGER
    -viewing the video in two media players at the same time-----checked
    What does "checked" mean? Both black?

Originally Posted by RYGER
    -disabling hardware acceleration and re-enabling -----checked
    Try disabling it and rebooting (still disabled). Do you still get a black video?

Originally Posted by RYGER
    What other options do you recommned me, guys?????
    Try re-registering quartz.dll. Select Start -> Run. In the Run dialog box enter

regsvr32 c:\windows\system32\quartz.dll

Press OK. You should get a message indicating success.

Are all your RGB videos playing black? Or just one particular video? If you open the video in VirtualDub is the video black?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    What does "checked" mean? Both black?
    Yes both black.I tried with bsplayer and mediaplayer

Try disabling it and rebooting (still disabled). Do you still get a black video?
    Yes! still black video!(I also unchecked the "Enable write combining" feature.)

Try re-registering quartz.dll.
    Done!/But no change.

Are all your RGB videos playing black? Or just one particular video? If you open the video in VirtualDub is the video black?
    Yes all the uncompressed avi's are playing black. And in VirtualDub the video is ok. All my video editing programs are recognizing the videos.
    Just the players won't play the video. I'm working a lot with uncompressed avi's, and it's realy annoying to re-render twice(using any codec) just to see if the video is ok.

Desperate times will come.
    Quote Quote  
  8. try the media player classic, last time i looked around it was about the only thing that would play raw rgb files.
    Quote Quote  
  9. If you are using MPC (or any other directshow player), you need an avi splitter and colorspace converter somewhere on your system. You can render the file with graph studio to see if you have these appropriate components (I'm guessing it won't render because you are missing 1 or both of these, as gspot had the same problem)

VLC and Mplayer should be able to play it natively
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by minidv2dvd
    try the media player classic, last time i looked around it was about the only thing that would play raw rgb files.
    I've never seen a media player that can't display uncompressed RGB AVI. Hard drives may not be fast enough to play it smoothly though.

Originally Posted by poisondeathray
    If you are using MPC (or any other directshow player), you need an avi splitter and colorspace converter somewhere on your system. You can render the file with graph studio to see if you have these appropriate components (I'm guessing it won't render because you are missing 1 or both of these, as gspot had the same problem)
    On my system quartz.dll acts as the file reader, AVI splitter, colorspace converter, and renderer. Any Windows installation and DirectShow media player should be able to play uncompressed RGB.

Using GraphEdit is a good idea though. GraphStudio (used above) is even better as it can tell you the names of all the filters and gives even more control:

http://blog.monogram.sk/janos/tools/monogram-graphstudio/
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

Guys, after 4 days of marathon research, my problem was resolved.
    As i installed the VLC, the player crashed when i tried to play the file.
    This was for the first time, that a player crashes, instead of black-color imputing the video.--- this was very ok, because i realized that the problem seems to be 100% software and not hardware (as i suspected).

Than i installed the graph studio on two different computers analyzing the same video, and studying the route of the codec filters from the .avi file to the output video renderer.
    And then i observed some strange differences, such as : some SUB-VOB filter between the .avi, and the avi splitter.
    On the other computer(playing perfectly the video)i use the k -litle codec pack. On this one: ace megacodecpack.
    I installed the k-little codeck pack.---it containes a miscellaneous part of some broken filters and codecs detection.
    This was my final salvation, because a lot of broken codecs/filters was detected and deleted from the registry.

Jagabo, poisondeathray thnx a lot!!

Although,the VLC - was the beginning of a turning point, now that everything is ok with my videos, the VLC -keeps crashing---weird.(maybe i'm going to reinstall)
    Bye
    Quote Quote  
  12. Codec packs are generally bad news. You get all kinds of mismatched components, broken bits and pieces, etc. If you want a pack use ffdshow. It's one big codec that knows how to decode most types of video. You can activate or deactivate each component if necessary.
    Quote Quote