VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi.
    I have several dvdr's that essentially contain the same footage, some are cut more than others some with different sound ect. I need a tool that can quickly encode them to something like 700mb each purly for testing and to save space on my HDD. Im not to concerned about the format i encode to as long as its compatible with virtuladub/virtualdubmod ect. Quality is unimportants at this stage too, just wanna get them compressed and onto the HDD asap.
    I tryed GK/AutoGK but they take many hours to encode.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    In AutoGK did you try the Target quality-setting? Because if you set a Custom size it will use 2-pass encoding which is slower.

Note: "Target Quality" mode performs 1-pass encoding while "Target Size" performs 2-passes encoding. (1 pass can speed up encoding considerably, but its not two times faster as you may expect.)

Or else could you convert to mpeg1 which should be pretty fast, use tmpgenc xpress, dvdx, dvd2svcd, xmpeg.
    Quote Quote  
  3. encoding speed is tied to the speed of your computer. anything that is going to take 4.3 gigs down to 700mb is going to take awhile on a 1.5ghz cpu.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thankyou i will take a look at some of the tools you recomended for a mpeg1 conversion, see which one works quickest.
    Thanks for a speedy reply man.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    And yes, i do realise that PC performance will be a huge factor in the overall speed, but as quality encodes take time. The quicker the smaller the faster ect.. Not sure if thats correct or not just the thoughts of a relative amature.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Encoding takes time, more so if you use a slower computer. AutoGK is fairly fast. You can use lower bitrates if you want faster encoding/smaller files. You could also just use VD Mod, along with VOB2MPG to get a single MPEG file for encoding to make it easier. But you will need to adjust the codec settings for the fastest encode.

Or try FairUse Wizard. Easy to use and you can encode to Divx/Xvid with decent speeds. There is a freeware version.

Encoding speed is primarily set by the CPU speed. Some codecs can use multiple core CPUs to good effect for a much faster encode. Otherwise, just let it run. You can also change the encode settings with most programs to optimize speed if quality is not a issue. Single pass encodes with a 'Target Quantizer' setting of 1 with Xvid should be fairly fast.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Divx at its fastest setting (must be registered) can encode 720x480 23.976 fps video at over 5x realtime on my system.
    Quote Quote  
  8. all encoders need to import and look at each frame to decide what to do with it and then write it back out. higher quality is usually achieved through multiple passes. the big 3 or 4 are probably the fastest. cce, mainconcept, procoder, tmpgenc.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for all your feedback on this, have tryed a few recomeded tools and achieved some reasonable results.
    Quote Quote