VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've got several video files I'm trying to convert to MP4 format (using H.264). Every time I convert them using ffmpegx I get a great video conversion with absolutely no sound. When I examine the resulting files in Quicktime it doesn't show any audio codec. The audio is just no there. I know that ffmpegx is able to recognize the audio format in the input file because it identifies it correctly in the summary screen. Also, it doesn't seem to matter what type of input file I use. I've tried .mov files with a divx codec. I've even tried converting from working .mp4 files with h.264 codecs. I just can't get ffmpegx to generate a file with sound. I'm clearly doing something wrong here. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

Dave
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Are you using the presets (if so, which ones), or are you choosing all the settings manually? Make sure that "encode audio" is selected (or passthrough, if the source file already has audio in the format you want). Also make sure that the target audio codec you select is one that is supported by the target format. You mentioned nothing in your post about what target audio formats you have tried, so perhaps you haven't selected the right thing. Post back with more info. Also, inspect the contents of the logfile (click on the blue "i" in the Progress window that appears when you convert). Once an unsuccessful conversion completes, see what the logfile says about what happened.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the response. I've selected pass through and that seems to work. I've included an image of the summary window. I'm going to try another audio codec now to see if that was the problem.

thanks again,

Dave

Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry for the lag in responses... it's been a little busy here. So here's the latest: I seem to have found a way to get ffmpegx to work with audio, but I'm still not done (apparently). I used Quicktime to take a snippet of the video I'm trying to convert... so I can test my settings before I commit to a multi-hour conversion on the whole thing. This works. I get the recompressed file with audio and it plays on my AppleTV. The info shown in Quicktime when I'm done shows the presence of an audio track (something I wasn't getting before). So I use the same settings on the whole file and it compresses perfectly. Quicktime says there is an audio track, but it's clearly blank because there is no sound. I'm using the very same setup I used on the small portion of the file. So what is going on here? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

Dave
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Try it with converting the audio rather then the Passthrough. I've also seen some failures with the Passthrough setting.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by rumplestiltskin
    Try it with converting the audio rather then the Passthrough. I've also seen some failures with the Passthrough setting.
    I'll kick that off tonight... see how it looks in the morning.

thanks,

Dave
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No dice... even with recoding the audio, it doesn't work. I'm including the quicktime info windows for both files. Here's the info window for the original (works great, sound and all).

Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ... and here's the info window for the recoded (slightly smaller) file which says it has an audio track but doesn't have any sound to it. The only difference I can see is that in the Format field, the audio track is listed first here. Does that matter?

Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Now my ffmpegX is crashing partly through the conversion... I'm going to reinstall I think.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It looks like the streams are reversed. Try using the "Invert mapping" checkbox in the Audio tab.
    Quote Quote