VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm tired of my Philips DVP5982. It can't play high bitrate files, which is 80% of my movies. It was claimed at the beginning these players were 2.0 but later found out they were 1.1.

I'm looking for a player solely for the USB function. I never play movies from discs. Just wondering whats the best 2.0 player for this. By the way, I live in Canada and the 5990 isn't available here. Also wondering if there's a device out there just for USB playback.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Exactly what bit rate are these files? You should be aware that any standalone DVD player that supports Divx will likely barf on Divx video with bit rates above 2000 Kbps. And if your audio is anything other than MP3 (especially if it is DTS), you will have to use even lower bit rates, maybe as low as 1200 Kbps.

Some media streaming players might be able to play high bit rate Divx, but standalone DVD players always have limits on what they can play.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Bit rates are in the average of 3300 to 3600. The Philips DVP5990 plays high bit rates actually, higher than 5000. Audio is always AC3 448 kbps. If the 5990 plays these files well, there must be others out there also.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mpeg bitrates may be that high, but divx wouldn't be, unless they were hi-def.
    As jman98 says 2000k for a divx file is very high, but still playable, including ac3 sound, BUT ONLY FROM DISC.. What you have to be wary of are two or three things.. 5982 was advertised as usb2.0 compatible, and not for playing video, of any sort, from the USB port. Something like the 5990 is actually usb2.0 but still not advertised for playing video from the USb port. I feel they are simply covering their arses. With usb sticks you have to worry about the speed of the stick as well. I have a 1gb stick and a 4gb sd(class6) adapter stick, and the 4gb is faster, on usb2.0 than the 1gb.

The 5982 is improved, (not usb speed) with the unofficial firmwares..
    Corned beef is now made to a higher standard than at any time in history.
    The electronic components of the power part adopted a lot of Rubycons.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There are many many XviD files with 3300 to 3600 bitrate. One I remember is 1.4 GB and the movie is 1 hour and 30 min with AC3 audio. Like I said, many of my files have this average bitrate. I only use the XviD codec.

The 5990 is the one player I know that plays the high bitrate files flawlessly through USB. Unfortunately, its not available in Canada which is the reason why I made this thread.

I don't use a USB stick but a External Hard Drive with its own power. Yet, I still have problems with high bitrate on my 5982. I called Philips Canada and they said the 5990 will be here for Christmas or just after new years. Maybe I'll just wait.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've posted this elsewhere but just to assure those who question whether a DVD player can play high bitrate divx videos on the usb port, trust me, the USB 2.0 HDMI upconverting Philips dvp-5990, can.

NOTE: Important test conditions:

I tested some files frame size 720:480 and 640:480 using a couple of 2gb usb flash drives with interlaced and progressive divx/xvid and ffdshow mpeg4 at at 3600kbps and it played them without skipping. My audio was mp3 128. I haven't tried higher bitrate audio because that's what I use in my normal captures. Also just for the heck of it I tried some HD high bitrate 7000 to 8000+ profiles divx6 pro but using 720:480 framesize ( a player limitation) and it played them without problems. Except for the faked hd tests I used the Home theatre simple profile to test although the player also supports 1/4 pixel and (divx)gmc. I specify divx gmc because apparently xvid gmc is more complex and this player is "divx certified" so it is possible that some features of the xvid codec are not fully supported.

I know that qpel requires about 25% more horsepower to decode so I don't know what effect that would have on playback but the simple profile videos work at very high bitrates both interlaced and progressive. My dvp-642 chokes on high interlaced bitrates but plays progressive video as high as 3600kbps. I know this for a fact because I retried them using files for the new player for testing.

Another improvement of the 5990 is the fact that you can now play large divx files greater than 2gb. I've now tested videos just under 4gb and they play right to the end unlike the dvp-642 that plays the larger files but quits at the 2gb barrier.

I also updated the firmware for the North American model dvp-5990/37 using the unofficial version
    https://forum.videohelp.com/topic355675.html
    The file browser is much improved and shows 40 character filenames instead of the short 13 or so in the original firmware. It also as a goto time point feature so you don't have to fast forward if you want to continue a previously interrupted video.

If you can't find a comparable usb 2.0 player I'd definitely wait for this one.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    gll99, He knows about the 5990. The problem is he can't find one in Canada. Maybe you can help him find one in Canada.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Tripper_
    gll99, He knows about the 5990. The problem is he can't find one in Canada. Maybe you can help him find one in Canada.
    Yes Im aware that shadow_cruiser knows the 5990's capabilituies but some people seem to doubt that there are standalone players available with a divx video usb 2.0 port that can handle high bitrate. I'm just confirming, that within the parameters I've tested, the 5990 does that just fine. That's why I suggest waiting for it. It's only a few more months.

Unfortunately, mine came via a shopping trip to the USA by a family member. Although the box packaging and manual in English and French (a Canadian requirement) and the documentaton even refers to a Canadian Warranty the player just isn't available here yet.
    Quote Quote  
  9. [Quote/shadow_cruiser ...]

I registered just for you ... you can buy this in Canada. In fact, it's on sale for a week starting today for 60 bucks plus shipping (or no charge local pickup if you're around) from www.ncix.com which is a huge Canadian BM/internet retailer based out of the Greater Vancouver area. Only problem, there's "only" 47 left as it's a limited sale.

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=32247&promoid=1074

I have the older 5982 and while I really like it - I tried to hook up my WD 160gb passport drive and it failed to power up as i've found out is the norm. Not enough usb power.

Anyways, it's a huge deal for me similar to many other consumers. That and the reported much faster scrolling due to usb 2.0. It's paaaainfully slow with the 1.0 of the 5982 on flash. There will be 46 left as i'm going to buy and retire my 5982 to backup status.

hope this helps.

Oh yeah, can anyone answer this question:

- can you acquire extra remotes from Philips for the 5982? I think my kids did something with it as I can't find it anywhere. I've been using my Logitech Harmony remote to mimic the Philips remote and its working fine ... but i'd still like to acquire another Philips remote. Yes, I know, I should contact Philps ... maybe tommorrow ... thought i'd just ask if anyone knew for sure!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @bill_n_opus
    I hava a Philips Universal 8 device remote that can be programmed easily. It not only has the codes matching my dvp-5990 but it also has a learning mode (if you have a remote but it's going flakey) and it can do multi key macros. Anyway Philips makes these and I only paid $10 for mine at a warehouse type outlet. I've got the cable box, a tv and 2 separate dvd players on it so far plus a few shortcut combinations.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just wanted to thank everyone for their help here, especially gll99 for his informative posts and bill_n__opus for letting me know the 5990 is available in Canada. I just bought it from the bestbuy website with a $10 off discount, came out to be $59.99 plus $7 shipping. If your out west, I would opt for the NCIX deal with local pickup.

I can't wait till my player gets here, I can finally watch movies with no stuttering
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by shadow_cruiser
    I just wanted to thank everyone for their help here, especially gll99 for his informative posts and bill_n__opus for letting me know the 5990 is available in Canada. I just bought it from the bestbuy website with a $10 off discount, came out to be $59.99 plus $7 shipping. If your out west, I would opt for the NCIX deal with local pickup.

I can't wait till my player gets here, I can finally watch movies with no stuttering
    oops, just saw this post after posting in the other one. glad you got a good deal from bb. You still could have saved 2 bucks though! :P

think of all the chewing gum you could have bought! (just kidding, disregard me)
    Quote Quote