VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    this is my frist post so if i posted this in wrong thread please go easy on me...

ok so the problem is i have this movie on a VHS (lets call it VHS_1) and towards the end of the movie the video goes bad/fuzzy/shattered but the audio still comes out. i thought it was the VHS so i put in different VHS and its the same problem... so after that i put in 4 or 5 different VHS and its the same... so i tried other VHS not "VHS_1" on a different VCR and it works fine so i put in VHS_1 into the VCR and it goes bad/fuzzy/shattered again. then i put other VHS and its the same problem again... now i have 2 VCR that doesnt work anymore.

i checked the tape and i dont see anything wrong with it. tape is clean
    i dont get how VHS can damage the VCR

please help. thanks in advance!!
    Quote Quote  
  2. All it takes to get video heads on a VCR dirty is a small spot of something on the tape. The drum the heads are mounted on spins at 1,800 RPM and the heads scan the tape from bottom to top. Your VHS 1 tape has something on it or it's just worn out. You can try a head cleaning tape but they don't do much. A chamois made for cleaning heads wet with alcohol is a lot better. Video heads are delicate, don't put any up/down force on them or they will break. Heads should be cleaned side to side the direction of tape travel.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Unless you know what you are doing, don't try and clean the heads of your VCR with alcohol. It is extremely easy to break them.

Try a dry type head cleaner. Run it through about 5 times or so. If that doesn't fix it, take to a professional to clean. Do not use a wet type head cleaner.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Bottom line as others have said that tape is making the video heads dirty. Your audio heads can be a different set of heads depending on if it is HiFi audio or not.

As a generalization a VHS deck can have 2 to 6 video heads, a audio head, a erase head, and a control head. Minimum of 2 + 1 +1 +1 = 5 heads in a cheapo VHS recorder.

BTW don't keep putting tapes into those VHS until they have been cleaned or you can crud up good tapes.
    Quote Quote