VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    When I play a DVD, through either PowerDVD, or even Media Center I get this:

See how the red is all screwed up? I think the whole picture might be too dark as well (not really noticeable here), maybe related.

If I press Capture in PowerDVD I get this:

This is also affecting HD-DVD's. Obviously my standalone player doesn't do this.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

using a HD2600XT graphics card, if that could help.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    My first guess would be your video card color settings are off. Go to 'Control Panel>Personalization>Display settings' then 'Advanced' and look for a tab for your video card. This is from my Nvidia card:

Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks, but that seems to be a separate issue (I realize they are off in the screens)

The reds being all blocky and glowing are the main thing.
    Also, Nvidias control panel is a LOT nicer than ATI's, haha.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I took a picture with my camera, it's far more obvious here:

ex2.jpg
    Quote Quote  
  5. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    When I play a DVD, through either PowerDVD, or even Media Center I get this:
    From your initial statement, this seems entirely to b e a problem with your video card settings. With my card, there are two separate settings, desktop and video. Video is often displayed in 'overlay' mode and uses separate settings.

If you lower the saturation, most of the 'blocky and glowing' should disappear. More a remote possibility, but your monitor may have the wrong settings also. But this would also show up on the desktop displays.

Now if I am misunderstanding and DVDs made with this system have the same problems, then that could be caused by the encoder settings, or possibly a over saturated original files.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I did play around with the video settings, the problem is clearly happening before the color adjustments take place though. They appear like this both on my TV, which is configured as a second display, and my monitor, if I move the videos over.
    It's not that the reds are just bright, and are appearing blocky because of it, they are clearly being decoded improperly.

Thanks for trying to help, guys, I really appreciate it! I may try a reformat, which couldn't hurt. Need some cleanup done anyways.
    Quote Quote