VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have recently set up my first home wireless network and now am trying to set-up file sharing. It's letting me do it with the exception of the "program files" folder. When I right click on it and pick sharing, the "share" option is greyed out and if I try to get into it it says "cannot share this folder because it is used by the operating system.

So I re-booted in safe mode and it seem to let me click "share files" and the folder now looks shared but when I go to my notebook to try to open it, it still says "access denied"

Is there any way to share the "program files" folder in XP?
    Quote Quote  
  2. if that computer is hooked up to the net in any way you do not want to share any important folders. they best way to use file sharing if you really have to, is to only share the default "shared documents" folder and place anything that needs sharing there.

it is really easy for a hacker to find your shared stuff so be careful.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    But only if they had my WEP or WPA passwords right? They cannot hack in without that info right?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by 123fish123
    But only if they had my WEP or WPA passwords right? They cannot hack in without that info right?
    No, the minute you browse to a website your PC is wiiiiide open on port 80 (and any other ports that you have left open).

I don't believe that you are able to share the Program Files folder in XP (as you have found out). Just one of those things. For starters, most programs won't run across the network that way without local registry entries. 2nd, you can do lots of damage from the gust PC, which results in non-functional programs on the host PC.
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote