VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is it possible to connect an HD PVR to my PC through firewire/USB connection on the PVR and record/capture/transfer any of the saved content from it to my PC to burn to DVD? If so, can someone explain the process (software needed)? thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Probably not but it would help if you told us what HD PVR.

And try google it and you might find a specific forum for it with maybe custom firmwares and such.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    How to record via IEEE 1394 (Firewire) to Windows XP:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=403695

STB Firewire Drivers for Windows Vista/XP/MCE:

http://home.comcast.net/~exdeus/stbfirewire/
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    its the Scientific-Atlanta, Inc. EXPLORER(R) 8300HD, so i see the drivers listed on one of the comcast lists in a zip file. going to read "how to record" link now to see if its possible. thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  5. You will probably find most, if not all, of your recordings are encrypted. So you will not be able to transfer them via firewire.

The only alternatives that I know at this point are the Hauppauge HD PVR and the Blackmagic Intensity Pro which capture component video.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    yup that's what i been reading.. encrypted by the cable company with something 5C? thanks for the info and tips!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by wingfan
    yup that's what i been reading.. encrypted by the cable company with something 5C? thanks for the info and tips!
    I have the same hd box. You have to record something with the dvr then after its done recording you have to play it back. The packets recorded from live tv through firewire seem to just be corrupted.
    Quote Quote