VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello all,

I am really facing a strange problem. I don't know what to do, or where is the problem. I thought to ask any help from this forum.

I used to use DIVXConverter, Apollo #1 DVD Ripper to convert mpeg to DIVX or Rip DVD to AVI. It usually takes about 30 minutes to rip a 1 hour episode of DVD to convert to AVI in my laptop by Apollo #1 DVD Ripper. And an 1 hour mpeg2 TV record file takes about 90 minutes to convert to DIVX by using DIVX converter. In both cases, I choose DIVX pro codec (latest one).

However, suddenly the conversion is taking way longer than expected. It is now 3 times longer than usual processing time. I did not install any new program in between, or there isn't any change in any form in my laptop that I could figure out.
    The slower conversion is happeinng in both cases (DIVX Converter or even #1 DVD Ripper). #1 DVD Ripper have the option to choose different codec, so I choose XVID instead of DIVX, but still the processing is too long.

This not not the first time, I am having this problem. I had this before, then I could not find solution to that. I formatted my laptop, reinstalled the programs again. But there was no improvement in result. However, after few days, I have noticed that the problem suddenly gone away, and the conversion is faster life before. I was so happy! However, my smile did not last long. After about 3 weeks, since yesterday, I found the problem came back again. I just don't know what might cause the problem.

My Laptop's configuration:

Model: DELL Vostro 1500
    Intel Core 2 Duo 1.83 GHz
    2 GB ram
    Video card: Intel 9100 (built in)
    Hard disk: 160 GB

ANY CLUE OR SUGGESTION IS WELCOME. Please help.
    syedmahm
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You haven't changed the laptop powerplan to power saver or similiar? It will reduce the cpu speed.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The only change that I did is:

Turn off monitor: Never
    Turn off hard disk: Never
    System standby: Never.

I don't know if I answered your question correctly (or if I understood your question correctly)

Thanks for reply
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    use the task manager to see if anything else is using the cpu during encoding - control/alt/delete to bring it up. go to the processes tab and doulble click on "cpu" to bring the highest to the top.

the other thing may be heat, if the processor is overheating then it will slow itself down automatically. use a temp checking program during encoding to monitor what is going on. "coretemp" is a decent program.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by aedipuss
    use the task manager to see if anything else is using the cpu during encoding - control/alt/delete to bring it up. go to the processes tab and doulble click on "cpu" to bring the highest to the top.

the other thing may be heat, if the processor is overheating then it will slow itself down automatically. use a temp checking program during encoding to monitor what is going on. "coretemp" is a decent program.
    I will check these two things, then I will get back with the result after few hours. Thanks for the reply. But, anyway, what would be the expected temp in an ideal situation?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by syedmahm
    Originally Posted by aedipuss

I will check these two things, then I will get back with the result after few hours. Thanks for the reply. But, anyway, what would be the expected temp in an ideal situation?
    Thanks aedipuss for all those clues. I have discovered my problem. Temp!!! I had to use a dust blower through the ventilation net. Then I turn on my laptop, and the problem is GONE!! How nice. Thanks for help.

This forum rocks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It clearly didn't apply in this case but the problem you described could also be caused by a sudden drop in the IDE mode used to read and write data.
    Quote Quote