VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Dear friend,
    The last 2 years I've been converting VHS tapes to DVDs. I work with a Mac and a Canopus bridge and FCS. So far I've been making individual persons and families, happier. But now I've got my first PRO JOB. I was hired to capture, edit, author DVDs and encode/compress 100 videos of dishes recipes.
    Until now, it's been easy working with those VHS in FCP, since it is simple to work with DV - NTSC - 4:3. I just have to have a VTR, the Canopus and my Mac, which now is a MacBook Pro 2.5 and 4MB in RAM.
    But now, that client who hired me is filming/taping in DVCAM and they will do it, 80 of the videos in 720/480 - 16:9 - NTSC and 20 of them in 720/480 - NTSC - 4:3.
    From now on, the doubts, if I am doing the right things or not ....
    1} I've assumed that I should work all the anamorphic videos with a Sequence and Capture presets of DV NTSC 48 KHZ ANAMORPHIC and those 4:3 videos with the same Sequence preset but the Capture preset not anamorphic since that all DVD's will be authored anamorphic and that the website will be prepared to have a 16:9 screen to show the videos. In the end, those 4:3 will be shown with Pillar Boxes. Right ??? Should I export the videos to be used in Compressor and to be encoded to internet as DV/DVCPRO or simple QT ?
    2) About encoding and compress for internet:
    I'm not a webmaster. I've been doing some designs for websites with a lot of talking with the guys that will do the programming of the sites, because, after all, design, illustration and advertising has been my profession for 25 years.
    I already did some video clips to be shown and travel through the internet and for that purpose, those quicktime presets in QT and FCP are good enough. But, hanging videos in a professional way in a website, I realized that it is something a lot different. I've been hearing and reading (false or true) that all editing softwares (FCP or Premiere) are not made to compress for internet.
    My client wants the videos in his website, small-Mbytes- in weight, beautiful in resolution, as big as possible and fast in appearing. The web-designer who will do the site and everything about it has not decided yet if he will hang the videos as wmv or flash. I know that I could just delivery the videos and let him encode them, but I would like to give the videos TOTALLY DONE.
    So, is there a good software ( for Mac) to help me on it ? First choice is a free one.
    Have anyone worked or heard good things about Sorenson ?
    Thanks to anyone that could help me.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    macmithos, answered via PM.
    "Everyone has to learn, so that they can one day teach."
    ------------------------------------------------------
    When I'm not here, Where can I be found?
    Urban Mac User
    Quote Quote