VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hi, well i'm trying to play HD vids but my screen goes black and then about a min later i get
    "Display Driver Stopped responding:
    The ialmrnt5 display driver has stopped working normally. Save your work . . . ."

Here's some info on my comp:

Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.070227-2254)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: Sony Corporation
    System Model: PCV-RS220(UC)
    BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.0
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.53GHz
    Memory: 760MB RAM
    Page File: 472MB used, 1385MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
    DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.2180 32bit Unicode

Card name: Intel(R) 82845G Graphics Controller
    Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
    Chip type: Intel(R) 82845G/GL Chip
    DAC type: Internal
    Display Memory: 64.0 MB
    Current Mode: 1152 x 864 (32 bit) (75Hz)
    Monitor: SyncMaster 932B(Analog)
    Monitor Max Res: 1280,1024
    Driver Name: ialmrnt5.dll
    Driver Version: 6.13.0001.3371 (English)
    DDI Version: 8
    Driver Attributes: Final Retail

any ideas on why and if possible on how to fix it?
    any information would be helpful.
    thanks in advance
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    What program are you using for playback? Your computer specs seem sufficient for most HD playback. What format are the HD files you are trying to play? You can drop one into Gspot or MediaInfo to check them.

You might try VLC Media Player. It has it's own codecs and may show if your problem is with codecs. Some HD files are MKV and not all players are capable of decoding them.

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I agree with redwudz that your CPU and memory are OK for this, but your display mode is way too low. At 1152x864, any HD source you play will be resized to fit your tiny screen and maybe that's your problem. Change your monitor to display at 1280x1024. At least you won't have to resize 720p video at that setting, just 1080p, instead of having to resize all HD video like you are now.

VLC does solve an awful lot of HD related playback issues. Give it a try.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I disagree. My old 3.2Ghz P4 with an ATI 64MB video card and 865 chipset had trouble with playing HD video. An 845 chipset with a 2.53Ghz P4 an 64MB of video memory will have a lot more trouble than I did.

You might get away with some 720p WMV with this setup but MS recommends at least a 3.0Ghz P4 and a video card with at least 128MB of memory for 1080p WMV. H264 will need more than that.

The 945 chipset won't handle Bluray.

Seems like I always got an error message when I couldn't play an HD video though. Something like windows can't play this file, not supported, invalid or corrupted file. I can't remember.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I think DarrellS is right. I saw the specs and was thinking "quad core" instead of Pentium 4. Yeah, playback is gonna be tough on that. Anything above 720p is gonna pretty much be a no-go here. Again, VLC plays nicer on HD content on underpowered systems, but don't expect miracles.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    VLC in "discard" deinterlace setting will play broadcast MPeg2_TS 1080i captures as 960x540p @ 29.97 (half motion, quarter resolution) which will play on most P4 systems. h.264 encoding probably will not play without conversion.

Apple defaults iMovie'08 to 960x540p for HD source processing* as a way to improve perceived performance.

* HDV and AVCHD camcorder captures default process as 960x540p. The Apple Intermediate Codec must be used to save as 1440x1080 or 1920x1080.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote