VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm considering this system because I'm replacing a Philips 642, and I thought I'd get speakers as long as I'm getting a new DivX player.

I couldn't find info on region codes or firmware for it (I like my Japanese movies). However, I was looking over the images for the HTS3154 (for the UK I believe), and they look almost identical. I -can- find firmware and a region code for that one. I've seen Philips players have different minor versions (/37 us, /05 uk somewhere) on the 642, and different major versions (642 in some areas, 640 in others) so I'm hoping this is also the case here. Would you think these are same enough for me to be able to use the same region hack, or use the firmware to change the backdrop?

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    We're getting an awful lot of reports these days about various Philips DVD players that CANNOT be unlocked. Philips seems to have caved in to Hollyweird on this one. I would not under any circumstances buy any Philips DVD player on the hope that it can be unlocked with no real evidence to support that hope.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Fair enough. Plenty of Philips models that do support region change.

However, my theory is that rather than have a second firmware build for units shipped to the US, I think Philips would likely save money and just not inform the US market how to do it. I hoped someone had one already, but I think I might take a trip down to the nearest <store name here> and see if punching the code from the 3154 works on a 3151 display model.

I almost want it not to work so I can just buy a 5990 model.
    Quote Quote