VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i know that this is the wrong place for this post and this is not a video related question so sorry but did not know where else to put it . a security site i came across recently is asking to be added to my whitelist in order to access certain aspects of it.i have no problem doing this but do not know what is a whitelist and how do i add a site to it?i have tried adding the site to the trusted sites using internet options but this does not work.any help is appreciated
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Whitelist for what? A Whitelist can be used in many programs. For example you can whitelist domains in spam filter program. all other email will be rejected.

I'd caution anyone about "Security sites". Thoroughly research the site before downloading or installing anything. There's more bad apples than good apples and many of these sites are not security sites but instead will trick you into installing things which you there are there to prevent in the first place.
    Quote Quote  
  3. A "whitelist" generally has more to do with what THEY can do to YOU than what YOU can SEE of THEM. It is also a pretty generic, non-specific term.

A "security" site that wants you to eliminate your security protections, and does not clearly explain in foolproof terms what they want done?

Personally, I would get out the 10-foot pole.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by deadman1972
    a security site
    Care to identify the specific site?

-drjtech
    They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Moving you to our off topic computer section.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    the website in question is "security-forum.net" and when i try to access the forums section it is asking me to add the domain to my whitelist.as i said i added it to the trusted sites on internet options but that did not work.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    could someone please explain what a whitelist is and if internet explorer or xp has one?thanks for all the advice and i did take out the ten foot pole as advised.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    in a network environment where net access is governed by the it department, they set windows to block all websites except those they put in as "whitelisted" which only means they are accessable, as apposed to "blacklisted" or a list of banned sites.

probably doesn't apply to you. probably a "feature" of i.e.7 is interfering. try firefox 3.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    firefox is that the same as mozilla? 8)
    Quote Quote