VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hello

FUNimation has Anime downloads (which cost $1.99 per episode or an entire "series" for usually a lower amount if you buy it all at once).

I haven't downloaded any but apparently from the FAQ they are WMV format. Also they appear to be protected somehow i.e., DRM of some sort.

You have to get some sort of "license" to "unlock" the file and you have to use (according to them) the standard Windows Media Player and they claim it only works on Windows (no Linux nor Mac support).

I'm wondering how "unlocked" are they once you download them? Will I be able to re-encode to another format or will the DRM screw it up? If so any way to strip the DRM etc.

Thanks

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I would assume (which is where the trouble always starts) that it is just standard Windows DRM, so fairuse4WM should be enough to let you convert if you have a legit license. The license is just that - a license file that allows playback in WMP.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I may pay for and download one episode and attempt to use that fairuse4WM on it.

I downloaded GUNSLINGER GIRL SEASON ONE via the Playstation Store on my PS3 and they were MP4 files with very nice quality but I can't copy them to an external HDD and when I tried to set the PS3 to composite 480i output so that I could record to a stand alone DVD recorder I got the dreaded "cannot record this program" message (which I've never seen before on my stand alone DVD recorder).

That led me to think about alternatives and since GUNSLINGER GIRL is distributed by FUNimation I went to their website and discovered they have their own download thing ... as I described in my first post of this thread.

Ultimately though ... at least in the case of GUNSLINGER GIRL ... I could have ordered the box set from DEEPDISCOUNT.COM for all of $24.59 (including all shipping charges etc.) whereas I paid $1.99 each for 13 episodes (or a total of $25.87) via the PS3 Playstation Store.

If VOD (Video On Demand) is to survive it has to be cheaper than buying pressed media ... otherwise I don't see the point (other than being able to spread it out over the course of more than one paycheck since you can order 1 episode at a time). Also this DRM crap is just that!

I might just give up on the whole VOD thing for now come to think of it but for Anime and TV shows it seems like a "cool" thing to do. It was fun when I had some free time to download an episode or two and watch while eating a pizza I had ordered etc.

By the way I am no Anime "nut" but I've always kind of liked it (I still remember how blown away I was at a Japanese language no subtitle VHS bootleg of AKIRA I saw at a comic book convention ... a couple of years or so before it got an official USA release). The stuff can be way cool although I never got the whole "robot" fetish thing they got. All that Anime with people in giant robot suits does nothing for me. Anyway my point is that GUNSLINGER GIRL is incredibly awesome. The price at DEEPDISCOUNT.COM is amazingly cheap as well. I highly recommend it.

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote