VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 32
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by u4s
    We're *really, really* impressed with the Player but the Player doesn't seem able to play DTS CDs - is there some completely ok work-around (or completely ok firmware fix) which will allow the Player to play DTS CDs (and/or DTS DVDs)?
    Yes it will play dts cd/dvd's. I just tried an old dts cd (Sting - Ten Summoner's Tales) and it worked fine. In order for it to work you will need to output the digital signal to a dts compliant receiver.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by Tripper_
    Originally Posted by u4s
    We're *really, really* impressed with the Player but the Player doesn't seem able to play DTS CDs - is there some completely ok work-around (or completely ok firmware fix) which will allow the Player to play DTS CDs (and/or DTS DVDs)?
    Yes it will play dts cd/dvd's. I just tried an old dts cd (Sting - Ten Summoner's Tales) and it worked fine. In order for it to work you will need to output the digital signal to a dts compliant receiver.
    THX For Your Reply - We're Connected To A DTS Compliant Amp But Our Audio Cable Connection Is Not Yet A Digital Coaxial One (Cable's Presently On Order) - We'll Try Again Once We're Better Connected - Sorry - Didn't Notice This All At First (Only Noticed That The Mftr's Online Audio Specs Didn't Seem To Note DTS For This Player And Several Of Our DTS CDs Didn't Seem To Play).
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Tripper_
    Originally Posted by Gillie
    Apologies if this question has already been answered.
    Will this firmware work on a UK-spec 5990 player or is it US only?
    Also, does it support multi-region DVD playback?
    This is for the North American version. Yes it's multi-region DVD playback.
    So if I was to use this on a UK spec 5990 what would happen.
    I have a Philips 9703 LCD TV which is fully NTSC compatible so would I have any problems?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by vb6rocod
    Just a question. Is volume level store ? If you set, let say to 10, next time when you open player volume is 10 or 20 ?
    Once you turn off the player, it resets back to the default 20
    Quote Quote  
  5. Anyone know how to change the main background image on the player? Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the custom one that comes with the custom firmware... I just thought it might be fun to make my own custom background with my dog or something. Anyone know how to do this?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DVantrease
    Anyone know how to change the main background image on the player? Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the custom one that comes with the custom firmware... I just thought it might be fun to make my own custom background with my dog or something. Anyone know how to do this?
    Here's a link.

http://personal.inet.fi/cool/mediatek/programs/
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Tripper_
    Originally Posted by DVantrease
    Anyone know how to change the main background image on the player? Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the custom one that comes with the custom firmware... I just thought it might be fun to make my own custom background with my dog or something. Anyone know how to do this?
    Here's a link.

Thanks! So is it just a matter of loading the BIN file, making changes, saving and re-flashing? Or is it more complicated than that? If I screw something up, can I just re-flash with the unchanged file?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks! So is it just a matter of loading the BIN file, making changes, saving and re-flashing? Or is it more complicated than that? If I screw something up, can I just re-flash with the unchanged file?

I haven't tried to change the background but it should be as you described. If you do make a mistake you could brick your dvd player. The only way to fix would be with a serial cable.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Can I ask for a feature request vb6rocod?.

This firmware here http://www.portabellos.ca/download/DVP5982_37_v0.4.rar has 8 viewable lines in the USB browser. Can you make that patch for this firmware?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Is there any chance this firmware could be written for a UK spec player - DVP5990/12?

Will renaming the firmware DVP5990_12 force the UK player to upgrade, or will it simply brick the player?

If it does brick the player can I recover from USB?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by Gillie
    Is there any chance this firmware could be written for a UK spec player - DVP5990/12?

Will renaming the firmware DVP5990_12 force the UK player to upgrade, or will it simply brick the player?

If it does brick the player can I recover from USB?
    This is topic for european model (12)
    https://forum.videohelp.com/topic355440-30.html

View last post... and for UK use version with CP 1252 (V4 is last version)
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Other version

DVP5990K_55
    DVP5990K_55_vb6_v1.rar
    http://rapidshare.com/files/139914483/DVP5990K_55_vb6_v1.rar.html

To see what version you have, power player, open tray and press "55"
    Thanx for firmware 5990K_55 modification is great! , but will version 1.2 for latinoamerican player?

version 1.2

* New "File Cutter", number of character in FileBrowser is limit now to length of "yellow" band.(More than 40 char.)
    * Move "DVD-Video" (DVD Quick Play) to "Preference Page" ,where is now "DivX Subtitles"
    * Move "DivX Subtitles" to "General Page", you can change font and color of subtitles when movie play.
    * Add a new menu for subtitles color. New menu is "Color" with option "Default" - white subtitles and "Cool" - yellow subtitles. New menu is after "DivX Subtitles".
    * Change color for "Display" "Folder/Single/Repeat" to white,now is visible.
    * "More" white color for some OSD message.

After update, apply a "Reset" and change font and color (for subtitle) to "activate" change.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by 2121
    Other version

DVP5990K_55
    DVP5990K_55_vb6_v1.rar
    http://rapidshare.com/files/139914483/DVP5990K_55_vb6_v1.rar.html

To see what version you have, power player, open tray and press "55"
    Thanx for firmware 5990K_55 modification is great! , but will version 1.2 for latinoamerican player?

version 1.2

* New "File Cutter", number of character in FileBrowser is limit now to length of "yellow" band.(More than 40 char.)
    * Move "DVD-Video" (DVD Quick Play) to "Preference Page" ,where is now "DivX Subtitles"
    * Move "DivX Subtitles" to "General Page", you can change font and color of subtitles when movie play.
    * Add a new menu for subtitles color. New menu is "Color" with option "Default" - white subtitles and "Cool" - yellow subtitles. New menu is after "DivX Subtitles".
    * Change color for "Display" "Folder/Single/Repeat" to white,now is visible.
    * "More" white color for some OSD message.

After update, apply a "Reset" and change font and color (for subtitle) to "activate" change.
    Last version 5990K_55 and 5990K_75
    DVP5990_vb6_v1_2_1.rar
    http://rapidshare.com/files/144686343/DVP5990_vb6_v1_2_1.rar.html

See more here (is a spanish/portuguese forum , also have a section in english).
    http://www.forodvp5100.com.ar/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=1458&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey!, very thanks
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    [s:3127e747c5]Can you please enable the choice of PAL playback in the player (right now it is fixed to only NTSC) in "Video Setup Page->TV Type"? This was a selectable feature in the players up to the 5960 version after which Philips changed the option so you cannot change to PAL.

And PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE also do this for the 5982 too. I asked three weeks ago on this thread https://forum.videohelp.com/topic348913.html but no reply yet. I want to take my 5982 with me to Europe soon.

Shame on Philips for disabling that good option [/s:3127e747c5]

EDIT: Sorry, this should have been posted in the 5992 thread. Please ignore.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    DVP-5992/37 North American unit !

I change fonts for subtitle, but for Filebrowser you must use latin alphabet.
    Also, minor change, new OSD font (smaller) and for "GoTo" when enter color is now yellow and is change to white.

DVP5990_37_vb6_v1_2_1_1251.rar
    http://rapidshare.com/files/144681213/DVP5990_37_vb6_v1_2_1_1251.rar.html
    vb6rocod Is it possible to make this firmware to DVP-5990/12 Europe (Bulgaria) I need Cyrillic support for subtitle.

BIG PLEASE if it no so hard !

THANKS !

EDIT: I find this https://forum.videohelp.com/topic355440-30.html THANKS vb6rocod
    This is latest firmware for DVP-5990/12
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by u4s
    Originally Posted by Tripper_
    Originally Posted by u4s
    Thx for your reply - we're connected to a DTS compliant amp but our audio cable connection is not yet a digital coaxial one (cable's presently on order) - we'll try again once we're better connected - sorry - didn't notice this all at first (only noticed that the mftr's online audio specs didn't seem to note DTS for this player and several of our DTS CDs didn't seem to play).
    Brief Followup - We've Now Received And Connected Our Newly Acquired Digital Coaxial Cable To The Philips DVP5990/37 - All Tested DTS DVDs (And DTS CDs) Now Seem To Work *Very* Well - Thanks Again For Your Help With This.
    Quote Quote  
  18. I just noticed something dangerous with the logo page. I was playing audio discs and had an HDMI LCD connection on for a few hours. The bright whites of the logo page created a burn in the screen which took a while to remove.

My requests:

1) More files listed (8 or so, as mentioned previously) - try playing a DVD with 40+ titles...
    2) A logo page without the bright white. Blue doesn't seem to be a problem. The issue seems to be the high luminance.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by FredThompson
    I just noticed something dangerous with the logo page. I was playing audio discs and had an HDMI LCD connection on for a few hours. The bright whites of the logo page created a burn in the screen which took a while to remove.

My requests:

1) More files listed (8 or so, as mentioned previously) - try playing a DVD with 40+ titles...
    2) A logo page without the bright white. Blue doesn't seem to be a problem. The issue seems to be the high luminance.
    If your referring to the background image you can change that yourself.

vb6rocod set up the four lines so that when you play mp3's it can show album art at the bottom of the screen. But, I would also like the extra 8 lines or so. I don't play mp3's on my dvd player.
    Quote Quote  
  20. I work a time ago with other friends to increase number of files in filebrowser. It's not so simple... I try this in my 5160 player, work well except case when return from a folder in position > 4 in filebrowser, return is like in case with 4 files in filebrowser... As I know, for now, nobody make this to work 100%. And because later I find "idea" with MP3 TAG's and jpeg preview I give up to continue work on this.
    So is no chance to see (from me) more than 4 files.....
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I work a time ago with other friends to increase number of files in filebrowser. It's not so simple... I try this in my 5160 player, work well except case when return from a folder in position > 4 in filebrowser, return is like in case with 4 files in filebrowser... As I know, for now, nobody make this to work 100%. And because later I find "idea" with MP3 TAG's and jpeg preview I give up to continue work on this.
    So is no chance to see (from me) more than 4 files.....
    Thanks for the reply.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Hmmm...I wonder why the 5982 firmware that's mentioned around here has more files in the list. Did the Philips developers shorten the core routines to have space for other stuff?...
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by FredThompson
    Hmmm...I wonder why the 5982 firmware that's mentioned around here has more files in the list. Did the Philips developers shorten the core routines to have space for other stuff?...
    no, If you open up the bin in any hex file editor you'll see there is a lot of room left for code. vb6rocod couldn't make it work 100%. I think it's a little more complicated than copy and paste.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The 5982 firmware by Ryan Jefferson posted in this forum has 8 lines in the browser. Its actually less useful than 4 lines because you can only skip 4 lines at a time and it becomes even more confusing trying to search the browser than the stock 8 lines.

I doubt the 8 lines will ever happen from philips due to the jpeg preview.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Tips: (if you don't know this...). NEXT and PREV action like PageUp and PageDown in filebrowser.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Vb6rocod,
    First of all, many thanks for your fantastic mod and your generousity to make it available for public use. I have some questions, if I may.

1. I get a Video resolution error when playing a high resolution DivX file (more than 720). I suppose this can't be fixed with firmware but I figured I'll ask anyway.

2. Is there a "resume play" feature where you can stop playing a DviX file and play back to the scene where you left off without having to fast forward all the way from beginning? I had an old DVP5960 model which had this feature in modified firmware so I'm wondering if it's possible for this model as well.

Thanks a million!!!
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Vb6rocod, I may have missed something when reading this thread, but could you tell me which official Philips firmware version your patch is based on? I have a 5990/37 at version 25 and a 5992 at version 31. Would I be updating or downleveling the Philips firmware installed on my units if I apply your latest patch to my particular units? Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Originally Posted by Veritas
    Vb6rocod, I may have missed something when reading this thread, but could you tell me which official Philips firmware version your patch is based on? I have a 5990/37 at version 25 and a 5992 at version 31. Would I be updating or downleveling the Philips firmware installed on my units if I apply your latest patch to my particular units? Thanks.
    My version is based on last Philips release.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Originally Posted by agidol
    Vb6rocod,
    First of all, many thanks for your fantastic mod and your generousity to make it available for public use. I have some questions, if I may.

1. I get a Video resolution error when playing a high resolution DivX file (more than 720). I suppose this can't be fixed with firmware but I figured I'll ask anyway.

2. Is there a "resume play" feature where you can stop playing a DviX file and play back to the scene where you left off without having to fast forward all the way from beginning? I had an old DVP5960 model which had this feature in modified firmware so I'm wondering if it's possible for this model as well.

Thanks a million!!!
    1. Max 720x576 (hardware limitation).
    2. Vladimir Boroda make this patch. It's very, very, very complicated and because he did not write a doc about this it's almost impossible to make. I try to understand "how" but finally I give up...
    It's not necesary to make "fast forward", you can use very easy "GoTo".... Press 2 times "Title" and enter h:mms for jump...
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for your reply.
    As for resume play function, well...if you can't figure it out, I guess no one in this forum can.

Thanks for the great firmware nevertheless and I will be sure to use the Go to feature!
    Quote Quote