VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is there any way that I can remove the irritating channel info on my hd movies ???
    I have a few episodes of Stargate Atlantis from sci-fi channel and they all display channel info and other
    channel commercials.
    All help in this matter is appreciated.
    Siddus
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    We need a beter explanation. You seem to have 2 completely different things that you want to do. By "channel info" do you mean a channel logo? If that's what you mean, there are filters for AVI files that can remove it, but I'll warn you that all it does is leave a fuzzy spot where the logo was in the exact same shape as the log. Some Russian website that claims to have a filter that can completely remove logos uses doctored photos to support their claim on how the filter works. Don't believe it. I also don't recommend you get any software from Russia that claims to do it unless you are willing to submit it to an anti-virus scan prior to installing.

Removing commercials requires you to edit. There are a variety of editors available for MPEG-1/2 video. VideoReDo and MPEGVCR are not free, but both are excellent and both are "try before you buy". I feel very firmly that if you use a freeware editor (there are a few) that you get what you pay for (that means I think they suck). However, a few people do actually like the freeware editors, so you could try them and see what you think.

Editing commercials doesn't require your video to be re-encoded, but trying to remove a logo will. Re-encoding generally makes the quality worse, but it is possible to encode losslessly to AVI, but you'll then have to re-encode that back to MPEG-2 for DVD and that won't be lossless.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My HD-movies are in .mkv format and they contain both the irritating channel logo that sci-fi channel uses and some type of commercials/infostrips that sci-fi channel also uses during there shows..
    I hope that this makes it bit clearer as to what I am trying to do.
    English is not my native language, I am swedish, so there might be some confusing writing here and there

Siddus
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The situation regarding static channel logos/watermarks has been explained already. Animated logos and pop-up advertisements overlaying programming can't be removed.

If you want a pristine HD picture, you'll need to obtain a Blu-Ray version.
    Quote Quote