VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8
FirstFirst ... 6 7 8
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ok but....

you're re-encoding the WHOLE file, nut just making a cut.
    I don't see much of a point in capturing HD and then further recompressing the video with some other (VFW)codec.

btw VDubMod MKV mode is obsolete and not recommended by the MKV guys.
    Sorry, I had to go see about a girl
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Problem is, if you just CUT certain portions, it goes out of sync.

The point of re-compressing the file is simple :

The capture is 10-15 GB.

Re-compressed file is 5-6 GB, same resolution, same quality, different codec.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I managed to get this to work.
    Tools used:
    AviSynth 2.57
    DGAVCDecode 1.0.8 (this comes with libavcodec.dll)
    ffdshow-rev2280
    VirtualDubMod 1.5.10.2

My version of the 1212 HD-PVR is D2.
    I use the original version of Arcsoft Extreme. The update caused me problems.
    Captured files are in .ts format with AC3 audio. I have had too much trouble with AAC.
    I have done this with captures from the ArcSoft Extreme software and by using GraphEdit. Both work fine.
    I hate to have to deinterlace, so I capture in 1280x720P 59.94 fps. I can tell NO difference in the quality between that and a 1080i capture at 30fps on my 42" Sony LCD. Also, using smaller resolution allows for a higher bitrate/file size.

First:
    Open the TS file in DGAVCDecode/Index and >File>Save As and Demux> Note: Don't worry about the pid's. I always forget that step anyway.
    Let it finish.

Second:
    Point AviSynth .avs script to your .dga file.
    My script is short and sweet and works.

LoadPlugin("C:\dgavcdec108\DGAVCDecode.dll")
    AVCSource("mystream.dga")
    This should be in the same directory as your .avs or point to it in full path and filename. I use another drive as a working/temp and keep all the files in the root partition. The less that my aging feeble mind has to deal with, the better.

Third:
    Open VirtualDubMod and open the script.avs I call mine "mystream.avs This will load the video from avisynth
    Click on the Stream button, and add the ac3 file that was demuxed from your original file. Don't worry about the delay listed in the file name.
    Mine is typically 18ms stated in the filename, oddly enough it doesn't effect audio/video sync in the final output.

From here you can edit out commercials, trim or whatever.

Save As:
    I select to save it as a .mkv. Full Processing Mode, ffdshow with .x264 at a bitrate about half of what the original was.....or less. I am still experimenting with the quality of output from here. I started with an abr of 4000 in ffdshow .x264 config
    You can also configure your ffdshow output during the save as process if you need to. It looks kind of confusing, but it is actually very simple

Voila!!!
    From HD-PVR .ts to .mkv.

Encoding time for a 42 minute capture (edited ahow) to a .mkv with x264 and ac3 with a final bitrate of 4000 kbps 1280x720 for a resulting file size of about 1.2 gig is about 4 hours on my Core 2 Duo powered HTPC @ 2.6 Ghz. WinXPpro SP2 2gigDDR2 80gig sys HDD 500 Gig storage. LG GH22LS30 Burner. This is my HTPC. My main rig is more of a heavy hitter. :P

The greatest part about this method is NO SYNC ISSUES WITH AUDIO!!!!! Not to mention the preservation of quality at a substantially smaller file size. Great for archiving.

I hope this helps.
    If anyone plays with this method using .m2ts files with aac let me know, I am curious of the outcome.
    Brad
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Essentially, this is the same as the method I posted above, only you use more steps to get there .....
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by bc55
    Essentially, this is the same as the method I posted above, only you use more steps to get there .....
    Which one? You listed several. The steps I used are the steps I needed to accomplish the desired output. Which steps can I skip?

Brad
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am still struggling. I am not sure, whether VirtualDub or any other software is the source of the problem, or perhaps the codec used, player(s) .....

I will post results as they are reproduceable.

So far, I have not had a single file with audio in sync.
    My conversions with VirtualDubMod work now all of a sudden too.

Just choose your compression, leave frame rate as is ( or convert 50 fps to 25 if you like ), tick DROP FRAMES WHEN BEHIND and SYNC TO AUDIO and do your editing.

Afterwards, save as MKV in FULL PROCESSING MODE.

Takes a while, but does the trick too .....
    I meant this one. Just open your source file in VirtualDubMOD ( selecting DirectShow as the source ).

Then edit out the bits you don't want, choose compression, full processing mode, sync to audio and drop frames when behind and save the result as .MKV.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by VegasBud
    I try to make it a rule to read an entire thread before posting in it, but I just don't have the time to go through this whole thread at the moment. As a result, if this has been mentioned before in this thread, I apologize.

The following technique, which is neither fast nor pretty, is what I've been using until someone comes up with a frame accurate editor for hd-pvr files. I've used this technique quite a bit...with frame accurate cuts (as many as needed) and no a/v sync problems.

I create two graph (*.GRF) files for the ts that the hd-pvr produces:
    The first is just the ts file being fed into CoreAVC Video Decoder. The graph is saved as video.grf
    The second is just the ts file being fed into CoreAAC Audio Decoder. This graph is saved as audio.grf

The barebones avs file contains:

v=DirectShowSource("video.grf", audio=false)
    a=DirectShowSource("audio.grf", video=false)
    AudioDub(v, a)

If the file is going to be trimmed, I open the avs file in VirtualDub and make an interim copy using lagarith or huffyuv, and then trim that file in avisynth.

In case it affects how well the technique works, my captures for many months have been using "Simple GOP 4/32/128". I honestly don't remember how well the technique worked using the default "Simple No IDR GOP 4/32/0" and unfortunately I don't have the time to test it.
    VegasBud,

Does this method retain AC3 6 channel audio? I ask becasue I am under the impression that lagarith and HuffyUV are unable to maintain 6 channel audio. Only 2 channel PCM. Is this correct? Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I meant this one. Just open your source file in VirtualDubMOD ( selecting DirectShow as the source ).

Then edit out the bits you don't want, choose compression, full processing mode, sync to audio and drop frames when behind and save the result as .MKV.
    I'll give it a go. If it will work for me I am all for a liberal application of the KISS principle.
    Cheers,
    Brad
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by bc55
    You're at the mercy of DirectShow when you do that. It may or may not work correctly depending on what file readers, file splitters, and decoders you have installed.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    But when it does work, it's dead easy .....
    Quote Quote  
  11. Anyone still having issues with this?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes I still have problems with it but I do have still some things I can try after reading this one.

But my problem is DGAVCDecode doesnt work for me. As my HD TS source file probably missing some data. Which isnt a problem for the transport stream itself as it is designed to deal with it but it causes sync problems as DGAVCDecode drops these parts.

My TS files itself plays fine but after converting (in various ways) them to mkv I always have sync problems. Though the first part is mostly fine its at the end that sync problems are acting up.

So if anyone has a way to deal with this I'm all ears
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by Tiaca
    My TS files itself plays fine but after converting (in various ways) them to mkv I always have sync problems. Though the first part is mostly fine its at the end that sync problems are acting up.

So if anyone has a way to deal with this I'm all ears
    Work in sections?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok got things working, dont know if its the best way but at least its working for me now.

I make a graph for video with CoreAVC,
    a graph for audio with ac3filter,
    both are loaded in an avs file with DirectShowSource.
    Seems a lot of people dont like DirectShowSource that much but its working for me quite well.

I cut out the commericals with AVS Cutter from MeGui. And put some other adjustments in the script.

Results are pretty nice. Whats left is playing around with filters and settings.

What are most used settings for 1920x1080 50i 13000 bitrating captures converted to 1280x720 25fps?
    Im still trying to find a nice balance in quality and filesize.
    Quote Quote