VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey guys!

Seem to be having a slight problem with my wireless on my laptop, Just bought a new Acer Aspire 5920G with Vista Home Premium and when it is connected to my Netgear wireless network it keeps automatically disconnecting then reconnecting every 2-3 minutes but when connected to other networks i don't seem to have the problem, also if i try and do a connection test using my PS3 it keeps timing out, but the wierd thing is my girlfriend doesnt seem to have a problem connecting to the same network and she is also running on Vista but with a shitty Hi-Grade laptop.

Any suggestions?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you have Intel wireless, make sure you are running Service Pack 1 for Vista, and the latest drivers. We had major problems with our current batch of laptops prior to SP1 being released. Also, turn off IP6 in the network properties.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think i am running Service Pack 1 and all my drivers are up-to-date according to windows. By IP6 you mean Internet Protocol 6?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yep. Seems to cause problems for some.

Also, look at your event logs for anything to indicate why you are dropping the connection.

And confirm that you do have SP1 installed. I cannot stress the difference it makes to Vista as a whole.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I do have SP1 and i,ve disabled IP6 and the connection seems to be holding! Will post back if i get the problem again!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Spoke too soon!

You mentioned about the Event log, where should i look to find out about the WLAN?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Right-click on (My) Computer and select Manage. Drill down to the Windows logs and look in System.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok here what i found.

These information entries seem to appear when ever it disconnects or reconnects

DCHP-Client: Your computer was successfully assigned an address from the network, and it can now connect to other computers.

TCPiP: The system detected that network adapter Wireless Network Connection was connected to the network, and has initiated normal operation.

However i did find this warning entry but it was recorded at 1331 (time is now 1355): Your computer was not able to renew its address from the network (from the DHCP Server) for the Network Card with network address 0013E8F7ABB7. The following error occurred:
    The operation was canceled by the user.. Your computer will continue to try and obtain an address on its own from the network address (DHCP) server.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It sounds like something may have gone bad in the network connection. Try reinstalling network connection to see if that helps.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So clear the setting i already have for this network then start as if it were a new connection?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've tried re-setting up the Netgear wireless but it is still doing the same!
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Would it be worth changing either the Channel or the Mode of the modem?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Did you by any chance install any software that came with the router? Or software from your ISP? If so, you may have 2 or more programs trying to control the Wireless connection and interfering with each other.
    Something to try: Open your Wireless Network Connection Properties and on the Wireless Networks tab find the checkbox for "Use Windows to configure my wireless settings". If it is unchecked, try checking it and apply, then reboot your computer, then go back and look at it again, if it is unchecked again then you have a third party software taking control away from Windows.
    I recently worked on a laptop for a friend who was visiting from Northern Ireland. He was having similar problems and there was software installed (BT something) that was supposed to control the wireless connection. It wouldn't allow M$ to be the permanent controller, and it didn't play well with the utilities that came pre-installed on the laptop.
    "Shut up Wesley!" -- Captain Jean-Luc Picard
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ah you could be onto something there because the laptop came installed with Acer eNet Management which controls the wireless but also windows is trying to do the same, so if i disable the eNet and reset the system it should solve the problem!?
    Quote Quote  
  15. Possibly. Certainly worth trying, don't you think?
    "Shut up Wesley!" -- Captain Jean-Luc Picard
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote