VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi all:

I recently bought an Archos 605 WIFI 80GB Media Player, and I love it! However, I am having one big problem. Whenever I try and play an .avi file (usually TV shows), the audio is off. Sometimes it is early, sometimes it is late, but it seems to always start from the beginning (as opposed to a gradual shift that gets bigger over time). They seem to play fine on DivX Media Player on my computer, but the player that the Archos 605 uses must not be able to compensate for it.

I have been using 'Correct Audio/Video synchronization' feature on PocketDivXEncoder to correct the problem, but it does not consistently work, and it does not have a template for the Archos 605 (I've been using the Archos AV700 template, which may account for the inconsistency in results). Anybody else have this problem or know of a consitently successful workaround?

Thanks (in advance)!
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    What audio settings are you using when converting to avi? Or if downloaded files then use mediainfo or gspot to identify the audio settings. Like what audio codec and if CBR or VBR bitrate.

I guess it would work best with MP3 CBR audio.
    Quote Quote  
  3. These are all downloaded files. I used Media Info to check a series of them (all one TV show, but downloaded from multiple sources), and they all seem to use MPEG Audio (MP3), Version 1, Layer 3. The Bit Rate Mode is Variable for all of them, but the Bit Rate seems to vary from file to file - anywhere from 129 to 142 Kbps.

I hope that helps - I have no idea what any of that means!

ESL
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Try reconvert the avi using avirecomp . Use CBR(Constant BitRate) audio and see if they work better. It could also be a problem with other xvid/divx features like qpel, gmc and avi recomp will not use any such features.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'll give it a go. Thanks!

ESL
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My Archos 704 has never recorded with desync (touch wood)! It has been in my possession for over 10 months and it has always recorded perfectly, on the fly, direct into Divx 4.0 (mpeg4). Possibly a firmware problem, as the Archos5 series is yet young. Go to Archos website and see if there are any bug fixes in the latest firmware downloads. Another exceptionally reliable piece of kit 'that NEVER has audio/video desync' is the Canopus ADVC100. That is because it uses the same clock for both the sound and the visual - they are locked-in.
    Quote Quote