VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Does anyone know the best tool for converting dvd9 to dvd5 with no errors after ripping with dvd decrypter?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    How about you start by ripping them with no errors in the first place ? DVD Decrypter has not been improved in a long time now. Copy protection has moved on. Rip with DVDFab HD Decrypter or ANYDVD (latest versions of either), and most other tools will work fine.

My personal preferences are DVD Shrink for simple re-authoring, and DVD Rebuilder with HCEnc for major reductions.

But if you don't rip it correctly to begin with, it really doesn't matter what you try to use next.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Even with DVD Fab you may have to use FixVTS before Shrink.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    DVDFab isn't as bad as it used to be. I haven't had to use FixVTS for quite a while now.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  5. 12
    Last edited by Anonymous4; 11th Mar 2017 at 11:20. Reason: Scrubbing myself from the Internet.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DeXeSs
    I really like DVD Shrink.

This thread confuses me but it could just be really late at night.

Is there actually a "quality" of ISO ripped from a DVD? Like I used DVD Decrypter to rip by DVD recorder images. Could I get a better quality ISO? This seems bizarre. I really hope somebody destroys this notion as ludicrous.
    Not quality per se but there are some issues as to whether or not the "ripped" DVD follows the requirements for compliance to the DVD standard. Especially when the ripping program tries to remove or correct some of the "protections" put in DVDs these days. It is possible that when one tries to reduce the ripped DVD9 to DVD5 by either shrinking or re-encoding problems may occur if the ripping program hadn't handle these correctly. RIPIT4Me used to clean up some of these problems with rips, but it has been discontinued and is no longer updated to handle newer "protection" schemes.

As Gunslinger pointed out in his post, there are programs that are more current and better able to handle some of the newer DVDs. I use DVDDecrypter coupled with RIPIT4ME to do backups when possible - still works for most disks. I use DVDFab HD Decrypter if the former programs can't handle it. The newer programs are updated quite frequently to deal with this. Think of it as a cat an mouse game.

On conversion from DVD9 to DVD5 I usually use DVD Rebuilder (Pro) using the HCEncoder. DVD-RB does an excellent job and on my machine doesn't take significantly more time that DVDShink in deep analysis mode. I use VobBlanker to remove extra advertisements etc. although other tools such as PGCEdit can do this also. There are options as to how the disks should be ripped with DVDFab built into the program (similar to what DVDShrink offers).

rcubed
    Quote Quote