VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I know Windoze has come a long way since the 90's (in some regards anyway) and most "modern" applications are keeping up...

Are there any inherent dangers or pitfalls to installing programs to a different secondary hard drive instead of the default C:\Program Files folder?

I've been racking my mind trying to think of any problems this could cause, but not coming up with anything.

TIA!
    "To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism; to steal from many is research." - Steven Wright
    "Megalomaniacal, and harder than the rest!"
    Quote Quote  
  2. Updates can become a hassle for programs not installed to their default.

Windows doesn't care though
    tgpo famous MAC commercial, You be the judge?
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    I use the FixEverythingThat'sWrongWithThisVideo() filter. Works perfectly every time.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Xylob the Destroyer
    I know Windoze has come a long way since the 90's (in some regards anyway) and most "modern" applications are keeping up...

Are there any inherent dangers or pitfalls to installing programs to a different secondary hard drive instead of the default C:\Program Files folder?

I've been racking my mind trying to think of any problems this could cause, but not coming up with anything.

TIA!
    I install most of my apps in top level folders on a separate drive.

However a few stubborn apps insist on creating folders in "Program Files".

For one thing I use batch commands quite a lot so I like shorter paths, and I hate spaces and punctuation in folder names. They can cause mysterious glitches. For the same reason I always use "Custom" install and drastically shorten the default folder and file names. Eg, instead of:

c:\Program Files\Bartholmew's Super Software Company\Bartholomew suite\Version 6.3.2 alpha\My wonderful app!!!"

I make something like P:\Bart\
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks guys.
    "To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism; to steal from many is research." - Steven Wright
    Quote Quote  
  5. I occasionally run into a program that doesn't like running on mapped network shares. (I have a share mapped as drive G: on all my computers.)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    yeah, I'd tried installing stuff to mapped network drives in the past - it just didn't work out.
    What I'm currently considering is installing to a second hard drive that is physically in the same PC.
    I've done it with some emulators, but those aren't (all) really installed and more like stand-alone programs (with the exception of my PS2 emu).
    Quote Quote