VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've been converting videos to psp format for my friend using XviD4PSP but the last time he tried playing 2 different videos he got the dreaded "not supported" message.

I had been using custom settings (ie not 768k turbo, etc) so I don't know if that hurt. Also lately when I run my videos in KMplayer to check for errors I find out in media info that they have VFR Variable Frame Rate. I've watched alot of video and I don't know of *anything* that comes in a variable frame rate. Could this be a problem.

Also I thought I was using resolutions supported by the PSP. The first video was 368x272 and the second was 400x224. I've done calculations several times and all the heights and widths are multiples of 16, so I thought they would be supported. However I do realize that Xvid4PSP will let you convert to many resolutions that aren't PSP compatible, so maybe I Just need to stick to 320x240 and 368x208 which have always worked on my friend's PSP.

I just found this particular portable video forum so I'm going to try using the other free PSP conversion programs in that sticky thread at the top of the forum like PSP Video 9, etc. Perhaps they will convert to a CFR Constant frame rate without any trouble (which is strange because my videos started out converting to a CFR with Xvid4PSP but something got changed to VFR somehow...).

Thank you in advance for any help you can give.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I tried a few test clips they were ended up being CFR, but I don't have a PSP to test it out on. Perhaps your source video was VFR and that is causing the problem? If you look at the avisynth script, many times the program will automatically put in convertfps=true, which should fix the source VFR problem. If not, you can add it in yourself.

Have you tried the regular settings? What settings did you change for your custom profile? Why don't you test on a small 10sec clip, changing 1 setting at a time (deviated from the regular setting) until you figure out what caused the problem? e.g. if you go above 2 b-frames or use b-pyramids the PSP will choke. (there are many other settings that cause it to choke as well - that's why you should stick with the default profile unless you know what is compatible)
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Actually I did completely uninstall XviD4PSP and reinstall it so I could use the default settings (before I uninstalled it I couldn't get it off custom for some reason). Anyway I converted the same file using 768K turbo and it still came up as VFR.

I don't know anything about avisynth script or where to edit it, so you'll have to be more specific.

B-Frames? I don't know what those are. I haven't messed with the B-frames settings at all.

I will check the source video to see it if it was VFR, but I highly doubt it was.
    Quote Quote  
  4. When you load your video into xvid4psp, hit avisynth=>edit filtering script

This is the "mechanics" behind how many GUIs for encoders work, they frameserve using avisynth into an encoder. The GUI front end part just simplifies the process for you.

Often it will auto generate something like this:
    DirectShowSource("C:\PATH\FILE.mp4", fps=23.976, convertfps=true)

You can manually edit it to include the syntax if it is missing. (of course changing to proper framerates, paths and filenames)

Sometimes it will use FFMpegSource(), without the convertfps argument (I don't know why, it's just an observation)
    Quote Quote