VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    AUTOGK - Embedded, Permanent Subtitles Not Showing Up? Try This...

I've been using AutoGK for around 2 years now, embedding permanent subtitles into my Kung-fu movies, and in the past month the subtitles stopped appearing. I couldn't figure it out for the longest. No solution was forthcoming from Doom's dedicated AutoGK forum or from this VideoHelp forum. Well, I discovered what went wrong...

I usually rip my DVDs with DVD Shrink and then extract the subtitles with SubRip, creating an SRT file I can use within AutoGK. I've been doing this, like I said, for 2 years with 100% success until a month ago. For some reason or another, I discovered that SubRip was starting the subtitles at like an hour or sometimes even 6 hours after the proper time! I didn't notice this nor did I investigate it because I had the firm belief the program was producing the correct file sturcture and all.

You have to pay close attention to where the first subtitle begins in the file.

For example, here is a reproduction of the subtitle with the wrong start time...

04:41:33,566 --> 04:41:55,736
    How dare you, Fong Shiyu!

Here is the same subtitle with the right start time...

00:01:53,546 --> 00:01:55,036
    How dare you, Fong Shiyu!

Now, I don't pretend to know why SubRip sometimes produces the wrong timing but I find that it usually corrects itself when I carefully redo the process. Weird!

Obviously if you load the first set of subtitles, they won't show up in the video until the time shown there, if the video is even that long to begin with. I couldn't figure out why they weren't showing up for the longest time until I actually paid attention to the TIME! D'oh!

I hope this helps someone!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Isn't that a lot of work? Why not let AutoGK get the subs and save the OCR?
    Quote Quote