VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    This very basic guide will show you the steps how to convert any video to high quality flash video, MP4 with H264 and AAC audio, and put it on your website with a flash video player. Using free software only.

Software
    Xvid4PSP (Free)
    JW FLV Media Player or Flowplayer(free)

Preparation

You can check how it will look like in the example below here, if it wont work be sure to update the Adobe Flash Player here.
    If you are going to convert from a commercial DVD then rip it to the HDD using DVDFab Decrypter first.
    Install Xvid4PSP.

Convert
    Open the source video in Xvid4PSP. Click on Open to open most video formats and DVD to open a DVD or DVD folder on your HDD.
    Choose MP4 under Format.

Choose x264 Q16 Turbo under Video Encoding. Click on the E to change advanced settings like the video bitrate that decides the output file size. Choose 1-pass(or 2-pass for even better quality but takes longer to convert) under Encoding mode and you can set the exact bitrate and get the desired output files(see the Output file size: in the screenshot below). Higher bitrate = higher quality =bigger output file size. If you don't need an exact file size then use Constant Quality / Quantizer mode.
    Choose AAC-HE CBR 64kbit under Audio Encoding. Click on the E to change advanced settings like the audio bitrate that decides the output file size.

Choose Video->Resolution/Aspect ratio to change the resolution.
    Set the Output resolution, higher resolution usually requires that you must use higher bitrate=bigger output file size.
    Check so the output aspect ratio is similiar to input aspect ratio or it will look stretched.

Hit Convert.

Put the video on your site
    Download JW FLV Player and extract the player.swf and swfobject.js and put on your site with the mp4 video you created above.
    Add this code to your webpage that should display the video:
    HTML Code:
    <script  type="text/javascript" src="http://www.site.com/folder/swfobjects.js">
    </script>
    <script type="text/javascript"> var s1 = new SWFObject('player.swf','player','640','360','9.0.115');
    s1.addParam('allowfullscreen','true');
    s1.addParam('allowscriptaccess','always');
    s1.addParam('flashvars','file=test.mp4');
    s1.write('preview');
    </script>
    Replace test.mp4 with the filename of your video.
    Replace the '640','360' with the resolution/frame size of your video.

Example

HTML Code:
    <script  type="text/javascript" src="http://www.site.com/folder/swfobjects.js">
    </script>
    <script type="text/javascript"> 
    var s1 = new SWFObject('https://forum.videohelp.com/images/guides/355179/player.swf','player','672','376','9.0.115');
    s1.addParam('allowfullscreen','true');s1.addParam('allowscriptaccess','always');
    s1.addParam('flashvars','file=https://forum.videohelp.com/images/guides/355179/test.mp4&stretching=fill&image=flash.jpg');
    s1.write('preview');
    </scrip>

Problems
    Add an image to the flash player by adding the &image=flash.jpg to the flashvar setting,
    Code:
    s1.addParam('flashvars','file=test.mp4&stretching=fill&image=flash.jpg')
    If you can't see the video in your web browser be sure to upgrade to latest Adobe Flash player(requires at least Flash Player version 9.0.115 or higher).

If you don't want any black borders in the player you can add &stretching=fill in the url to your mp4 file like http://www.site.com/folder/test.mp4&stretching=fill

If you put the player and video in different folders then add the complete url to to the code like,
    HTML Code:
    <script type="text/javascript" src="http://www.site.com/folder/swfobjects.js">
    </script>
    <script type="text/javascript">
    var s1 = new SWFObject('http://www.site.com/folder/player.swf','player','640','360','9.0.115');
    s1.addParam('allowfullscreen','true');
    s1.addParam('allowscriptaccess','always');
    s1.addParam('flashvars','file=http://www.site.com/folder/test.mp4');
    s1.write('preview');
    </script>
    If Xvid4PSP wont work you can use other all-in-one h264 converters like HandBrake, StaxRip, Ripbot264, avidemux.
    Last edited by Baldrick; 19th Mar 2010 at 04:33.
    Quote Quote  
  2. How does this application compare to ON2's very awesome encoder?

Thanks in advance!
    Julian Maytum
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I haven't compared the x264 converter with the on2 converter but I guess you should be able get similiar quality if you know how to configure correctly. I just want to show a free alternative to on2 and flash professional.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm giving it a go.. thanks for the great guide.. I will let you know how I make out I would like to use this to replace ON2 hopefully and also to use it to encode video files for my Samsung Instinct!

Thanks again for the guide!
    Julian Maytum
    Quote Quote  
  5. I will try this as well in the next couple of days and report back
    Bringing your photos and memories to life
    www.YourHighlightFilm.com
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Excellent guide, thx!

One point is not clear for the code.
    You mention:
    After the size, what is the third figure standing for - resolution?
    Sometimes you mention '9' and others '0'

If it's standing for the resolution how does this work?

thx
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This is a great guide, Baldrick!
    Quote Quote  
  8. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dsl225
    Excellent guide, thx!

One point is not clear for the code.
    You mention:
    After the size, what is the third figure standing for - resolution?
    Sometimes you mention '9' and others '0'

If it's standing for the resolution how does this work?

thx
    It should be 9. It is the required flash player version. You can add 9.0.115 so you are sure the user has upgraded flash with h264 support (and add a link to the upgrade, see the example above)

See http://blog.deconcept.com/swfobject/
    Quote Quote  
  9. why not use 2-pass encoding if you have the extra time = better quality video
    this method works pretty well if your converting a shorter video, but not so good if your video is anything over a couple of minutes long
    Quote Quote  
  10. Baldrick, What is this 'XviD4PSP 5.0 source code 28.02.2008' file and do I need to download and install it to use Xvid4PSP?
    Quote Quote  
  11. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    maxamillion: Added that you can use 2-pass also.

captain satellite: Nope, you don't need the source code. Just http://download.videohelp.com/download/XviD4PSP_5034_full.exe .
    Quote Quote  
  12. Baldrick, What would be the best settings for the ultimate quality video if time was not a concern, only best quality. Those settings worked great, just wondering if it could be even better.

Thanks for a great, simple to use guide!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hey bro' How can I do this through Flash CS3?
    I want to place a high quality video in my flash site.

Can you show me PLEASE??
    Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What a great guide !!!

Very kewl !!!

I'll have to try it

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search PM
    I love the JW FLV player..I use it on my website with the playlist feature so people can view movies, images, and songs all from the same playlist.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks Rick, this guide is great.

Is there a way to do batch converts? I have like 100+ videos that I want to convert.

Thanks,
    Adam
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I followed the instructions, but my video won't play. What did I do wrong? Is there a file size limit or might I have an issue with my host?

My video can be found on www.busttheclock.com
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by TexasEx
    I followed the instructions, but my video won't play. What did I do wrong? Is there a file size limit or might I have an issue with my host?

if this is you index page then are all the required files in your root directory? both the player files and the video?
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by aedipuss
    Originally Posted by TexasEx

if this is you index page then are all the required files in your root directory? both the player files and the video?
    Yes, all the files are in one folder. I have several domains under my host and created folders for each one to keep them straight.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    if the files are in a different folder than the html page then you need to use the url of the files. as in

[edit] i can't seem to type in the text without it thinking it's a video to play

anyway the files need full url addresses - 'http://www.yoursite.com/folder/player.swf','player','672','480','9.0.115'
    --
    Quote Quote  
  21. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    aedipuss: Use the -bbcode for html in this forum section.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick
    aedipuss: Use the -bbcode for html in this forum section.

thanks

that will put it in a quote like box and not run it?
    --
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    if the files are in a different folder than the html page then you need to use the url of the files. as in

[edit] i can't seem to type in the text without it thinking it's a video to play

anyway the files need full url addresses - 'http://www.yoursite.com/folder/player.swf','player','672','480','9.0.115'
    The html page, .mp4 file, swf player, etc. are all in one folder.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    your source code is missing part of the scripts first line - it should b like this
    and i would still use full urls for all files. you might also reduce the flash player version to 9.0.115
    --
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    your source code is missing part of the scripts first line - it should b like this
    and i would still use full urls for all files. you might also reduce the flash player version to 9.0.115
    The disclaimer takes away the player when you add it to the script. The full address isn't doing anything. I did reduce the flash player, however, to the older version. Do I need to add %20 or whatever the characters are when you save a pdf in a certain application since I have spaces in the title of my video?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    it's possible your server can't deal with spaces in file names. i use the _ to connect rather than spaces.

the first line i posted works, it's right off a page on my site and it's what baldrick used for the video to play in this thread.
    --
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There is something I don't fully understand. The code adds the JW FLV Player to the site. I thought this player can playback the MP4 file. Then why is it still required to have Adobe Flash Player version 9 or higher? I thought that you need EITHER Adobe Flash Player 9 OR JW FLV Player. Could someone explain this in more detail? I am confused about this.
    Quote Quote  
  28. I doubt this player works any longer. I can't get any of this to work as before.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Can anybody explain to me why this player won't work? I even added the whole url for everything even though it's all in the same folder. I did this a while back. Here's my link and code. Please help,

http://myfavoritevideoclips.com/videopage/index.html

Code:

The player will show in this paragraph

Edit: Great the code isn't showing up.
    Quote Quote