VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am thinking of upgrading my present M/B and CPU, SSI650 to SSI651 chipset, CPU P4 2g to P4 2.4g. I do not intend to replace any other component. Seeking advise of the consequences I am likely to experience if I proceed.

All advise would be very much appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I'm not sure what type of problems you mean. Does the new MB use the same type and speed RAM? If not, you may have to upgrade it.

I would download and save the latest drivers from the motherboard site before installing the MB. The ones that come with motherboards are usually out of date.

I'm assuming you are going to re-install the OS? I would also repartition/reformat the boot hard drive. The install disc can do that. Then you start with a 'clean slate' and no problems from old software or junk on the drive.

It would also be a good time to upgrade or replace the CPU cooler. I would attach it to the motherboard before installing the MB. Also a good time to blow out all the dust from the case, make sure your case fans are in good condition and your power supply is adequate for your system.

Other than that, just take your time and double check all connections and make sure the RAM and cards are properly seated. When you first power it up, check that all fans are working. I would boot to BIOS and make any needed changes there. If you study the MB manual, you should be familiar with it. While in BIOS, check temps, fan RPMs and voltages. I usually run a MB in BIOS for about a half hour to see that the system is functioning properly.

Then reboot and add the OS, drivers and programs.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    With such a minor change it hardly seems worth the effort, but you obviously have your reasons. I suspect all you RAM modules and everything else is going to be compatible. As redwudz has said, a re-install of the operating system would be a good idea but if you are not intending doing that, there are a couple of things you need to do.

While you still have the old setup, go into device manager, uninstall the motherboard chipset drivers and switch the machine off. Then do the upgrade and boot again. It will then ask for the drivers for the motherboard chipset, unless they are the same, so install them. If the drivers are the same, it will simply re-install them off the hard drive.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I may have misread the original post but I got the impression the OP planned to change the chipset on an existing motherboard which up until now I had assumed was impossible?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for your responses everyone .... I have decided to throw the new M/B and CPU into another tower as I do not want to rebuild my current setup which has been fast and trouble free since I set it up 5 years ago.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    ntscuser, yes, changing the chipset on a existing MB would be very difficult as they are soldered to the MB. Even with the proper desoldering tools, not a job I would want to tackle. Besides, the MB firmware and hardware would likely be incompatible.

blinky88, you probably needed another computer anyway. I've got a room full of them after many upgrades.
    Quote Quote