VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. This is the card i have http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815100120
    KWORLD X-Pert DVD Maker PCI Card VS-L883D PCI Interface

I have a 7200 rpm hard drive, about 40 gigs free. I downloaded virtualdub. 2 gig athlon 1 gig ram
    Ive tried researching, ive searched on the fourm but nothing really fits what im looking for.

I want to know what resolution i should use, and maby some suggestions on what to encode with
    It says it can do mpeg1/2/4 and AVI. I dont think ill be editing the video im capturing a whole lot.
    These video's will probably be 10-15 minutes in length and when im done with them i would like them to be a decent size (im not putting them on DVD or anything) I would like it to look good on youtube (and small enough to upload on to youtube) I would like to aviod lines in the video, but i guess its not the end of the world if they are there.
    When i capture video using the included capture software it takes up a shit ton of space, its like 800 megs for 3 minutes of video or something like that. If i need to just capture it regularly and then compress it somehow, i need some suggestions on what to compress with, i downloaded virtual dub but it has a whole big dropdown list of compressions etc Just need some suggestions on what i need to do to get decent quality with a manageable file size.

I would preferr to use free tools etc, but if it dosent cost alot and its really good i wouldent be against getting it.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I would try using adobe flash media encoder 2.5. Encodes to .flv and its freeware.

http://www.adobe.com/products/flashmediaserver/flashmediaencoder/
    Quote Quote  
  3. Since you have a card that requires software encoding you will have to use a fast encoder. A lossless encoder like HuffYUV will get you the highest quality but the the files will be about 30 GB/hr. After capturing you would use a slow encoder to get the best results in a small file.

Some of the lossy encoders are fast enough (depending on your CPU) for video capture. PicVideo MJPEG and the Divx codec (at its faster settings) will probably work. You can pick the bitrate (file size) you want but the smaller you make the files the worse the quality will be. Capturing with HuffYUV and compressing later will work better because the encoders can spend a lot of time to get the best results.

Since you bought from NewEgg you are probably capturing NTSC video. You'll have to deal with interlace and 3:2 pulldown artifacts.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I got adobe flash media encoder to do a pretty good job with a decent size, but i cant get the audio to work, and it works in the other 2 capture devices ive used (virtual dub and virtual vcr) PS: my name on AIM is TruthTaco if anyone wants to help me in real time ( would be awesome since i cant find an irc room for this type of thing)
    Quote Quote