VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've seen a few posts on this, but nothing specific to what I'm looking for.

I've demuxed a DVD & want to mix new audio files over the video. I need to SEE what I'm doing here, but the 2 programs I've been using haven't been playing the game. I've demuxed the video with PGCDemux & the audio was ripped & I have kept it as WAV files.

Vegas on my PC will not load the m2v file at all. Adobe Premiere on my Mac will load the m2v but plays it at 30FPS when the video is 23.9FPS, hence I can't match the video to the audio files.

Is there a 3rd program I could obtain to match up audio to video? The idea is to match up the audio to the video, save the audio file & remux the audio back into the original file to reburn the DVD as it was before with the new audio track, but that's irrelevant right now. I need to get the audio lined up correctly.

Any ideas?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Dizrythmia

I've demuxed a DVD & want to mix new audio files over the video. I need to SEE what I'm doing here, but the 2 programs I've been using haven't been playing the game. I've demuxed the video with PGCDemux & the audio was ripped & I have kept it as WAV files.

Vegas on my PC will not load the m2v file at all. Adobe Premiere on my Mac will load the m2v but plays it at 30FPS when the video is 23.9FPS, hence I can't match the video to the audio files.

Is there a 3rd program I could obtain to match up audio to video? The idea is to match up the audio to the video, save the audio file & remux the audio back into the original file to reburn the DVD as it was before with the new audio track, but that's irrelevant right now. I need to get the audio lined up correctly.

Any ideas?
    I've always used VirtualDub Mpeg to sync audio....but I believe you will lose your .M2V file.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I would probably convert the m2v to avi lagarith(using virtualdubmod) and use it in adobe premiere. I would not change the audio.
    Quote Quote  
  4. You can find the delay by placing the .m2v and .wav file in the same folder and playing with MPC, using the +/- keys to adjust the delay. They have to have the same name (e.g. "myfile.m2v" and "myfile.wav"). Once in sync, write the the ms delay (e.g. -450ms) and use this number to input into your MPEG2 multiplexer application of choice

Another visual method is to use avidemux, specifying audio=>audio from other file and directing to the .wav file. Then checkmark the shift audio box, and enter a delay & pressing enter. You can push play and then readjust the audio shift delay on the fly until in sync. Once again, note the delay when in sync and feed into your authoring or multiplexing application

These methods only work if your audio is shifted (constant delay scenario). If the audio is different length, or meant for another fps video, you have to either change the fps of the video (not fun if you are trying to do a DVD spec video) or edit the audio to match (easier in this case) using besweet/belight or another audio editor

Cheers
    Quote Quote  
  5. Load the MPG in Vegas, and then load the secondary audio track. Then you can vidually match the original audio with the new audio track. Add needed delay at the beginning and/or shorten or stretch, so that the beginning and end waveforms match.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm afraid you're learning the sad fact about mpg video--that it's really not very versatile. To do anything the least bit fancy you really need to convert it to AVI. I know it's a pain and a slight loss of quality, but it's generally the best way to go. None of the mpg editors out there do very much. Even if you use VirtualDub MPG Tools, it's still going to output the file as an AVI when you're done.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If its mpeg you could try re muxing your video and new audio and trying the sync tool in video redo,it allows you to view the file and adjust the sound with a slider then save the file.
    If you have multiple files it might be worth doing each individually and then join them after syncing using video redo.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Are there mac ports of virtualdub and videoredo? The tips won't help the original poster much if they are pc only.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a PC & a Mac, so either way is fine.

Thanks for the help so far. I've converted it to AVI so I'll see how I go from here...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Dizrythmia
    I've demuxed a DVD & want to mix new audio files over the video. I need to SEE what I'm doing here
    If your original audio file is in sync, you can use that as your reference.
    Demux the original audio, then, using an audio editor like Audacity, load the original and then "import" the new soundtrack, so you will see them both in the same "project".

At the same time have the video loaded in a playing app so you can read off times. Find a sharp or abrupt sound (door closing, gun shot, drumbeat, etc) and note the time. Scroll along in Audacity to that time and find it exactly (which should be obvious from the waveform). Now use the "Time Shift" tool to slide the new soundtrack along to sync. There are plenty of other tools for stretching, cutting, etc., if you need to do more complex things. You can also apply "Labels" to various points to orient yourself.

When done mute or delete the original soundtrack, export the new track as wave, then convert to AC3 or whatever.
    Quote Quote