VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am using ADSTech USB Instant DVD to capture analog video to my PC. Last night I downloaded DVDFlick, great program sofar, to Author and Burn.

The question I have is that I am capturing at either 3mbps or 4mbps to MPEG2 format. I believe this is a DVD Standard format.

DVDFlick is reencoding the video and audio streams before the burn. I have pasted the output from a 3mbps capture that I completed in hopes that someone can tell me what I need to change to save the reencoding step.
    The output is from gspot. I did notice that it states I do not have the MPEG2 coded installed, my burning machine is different from my capture system.

Thanks

--- File Information ---
    File Name: HomeVideo1.mpg
    File Name (with full path): F:\HomeVideo1.mpg
    File Size (in bytes): 1,950,449,664

--- Container Information ---
    Base Type (e.g "AVI"): MPEG (.MPG/.MPEG/.VOB)
    Subtype (e.g "OpenDML"):
    Interleave (in ms):
    Preload (in ms):
    Audio alignment("split across interleaves"):
    Total System Bitrate (kbps): 14107
    Bytes Missing (if any):
    Number of Audio Streams: 1

--- Video Information ---
    Video Codec Type(e.g. "DIV3"): MPEG2
    Video Codec Name(e.g. "DivX 3, Low-Motion"): MPEG-2
    Video Codec Status(e.g. "Codec Is Installed"): Codec(s) are NOT Installed
    Duration (hh:mms): 1:18:58
    Frame Count: 141987
    Frame Width (pixels): 704
    Frame Height (pixels): 480
    Storage Aspect Ratio("SAR")" 1.467
    Pixel Aspect Ratio ("PAR"): 0.909
    Display Aspect Ratio ("DAR"): 1.333
    Fields Per Second: 59.940
    Frames Per Second: 29.970
    Pics Per Second: 29.970
    Video Bitrate (kbps): 2997
    MPEG-4 ("MPEG-4" or ""):
    B-VOP ("B-VOP" or ""):
    QPel ("QPel" or ""):
    GMC ("GMC" or ""):
    NVOP ("NVOP" or ""):
    H264 ("H264" or ""):
    Quality Factor (bits/pixel)/frame: 0.296"

MPEG-2 ("MPEG-2" or ""): MPEG-2
    Interlaced ("I/L" or ""): I/L
    Progressive ("Prog" or ""):
    Top Frame First ("TFF" or ""): TFF
    Bottom Frame First ("BFF" or ""):
    3:2 Pulldown ("3:2" or ""):
    Picture-per-field ("PPF" or ""):

--- Aspect Ratio Related ---

Broadcast standard: "PAL" (else blank)
    Broadcast standard: "NTSC" (else blank) NTSC
    src:"VCD", "SVCD", "CVD", or "DVD (else blank):
    Instructions to convert to VCD, first part: Resize to 352 x 240 ( w:[1/2] h:[1/2] )
    Instructions to convert to VCD, second part: No cropping req'd
    Instructions to convert to SVCD, first part: Resize to 469 x 480 ( w:[2/3] h:[1/1] )
    Instructions to convert to SVCD, second part: Pad 5 to left, 6 to right for 480 x 480
    Instructions to convert to CVD, first part: Resize to 352 x 480 ( w:[1/2] h:[1/1] )
    Instructions to convert to CVD, second part: No cropping req'd
    Instructions to convert to DVD, first part: No resize req'd
    Instructions to convert to DVD, second part: Pad 8 to each side for 720 x 480
    Instructions to convert to AVI, first part: Resize to 641 x 480 (Use +/- for other target sizes)
    Instructions to convert to AVI, second part: Crop off any non-picture areas, if req'd

--- Audio Information ---
    MPEG Stream ID (e.g. "0xbd"): 0xc0
    MPEG VOB file Substream(e.g. "0x80"):
    Audio Codec (e.g. "AC3"): MPEG-1 Layer 2
    Audio Codec Status (e.g. "Codec Is Installed"): Codec(s) are Installed
    Audio Sample Rate (Hz): 48000
    Audio Bitrate(kbps): 192
    Audio Bitrate Type ("CBR" or "VBR"): CBR
    Audio Channel Count (e.g. "2" for stereo): 2
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I did just notice something jumped out at me... Instructions to convert to DVD say to pad 8 on each side. Is there a way to say leave it at the current size?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I believe there is an option to "copy mpeg2 streams" or some similar wording. This option tells DVDflick to copy rather then encode compliant streams.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks Marioval, I tried that but it is still going through the step encode video and taking quite a bit of time if it is just copying the stream.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by bolintx
    I did just notice something jumped out at me... Instructions to convert to DVD say to pad 8 on each side. Is there a way to say leave it at the current size?

Edited: In a word, I'm very mistaken. Of course 704x480 is a legitimate resolution (for NTSC).
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    TomLee In a word yes, 704x480 is a compliant format.
    From What is DVD, upperleft corner NTSC (NTSC Film)

Video:
    Up to 9.8 Mbps* (9800 kbps*) MPEG2 video
    Up to 1.856 Mbps (1856 kbps) MPEG1 video
    720 x 480 pixels MPEG2 (Called Full-D1)
    704 x 480 pixels MPEG2

704x480 is listed as a standard. So why is it needing to encode again.

So does anybody have an idea why it needs to encode the video?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Total System Bitrate (kbps): 14107
    Perhaps you exceeded the video bitrate limit? Audio bitrate is only 192kbps of that total...
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Not sure what that incorporates because further down it states:

Video Bitrate (kbps): 2997

But I'll look into it, thanks
    Quote Quote  
  9. If you have a DVD compliant video why are you using DVDFlick??

IMHO You should be using a DVD authoring program. There are several free ones listed in the tools section. I would never use DVD flick just to author. I have used it to convert flv to DVD for example however.

Under Project Settings choose video, Then choose advanced and check the box "copy mpeg 2 streams"

dvd%20flick.bmp
    the little i next to that option shows
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by TBoneit
    If you have a DVD compliant video why are you using DVDFlick??

IMHO You should be using a DVD authoring program. There are several free ones listed in the tools section. I would never use DVD flick just to author. I have used it to convert flv to DVD for example however.

Under Project Settings choose video, Then choose advanced and check the box "copy mpeg 2 streams"

dvd%20flick.bmp
    the little i next to that option shows
    So it should do what you want. It just isn't what I'd use myself.
    Good Luck
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    TBoneIT or anyone else,

What would your recommend for authoring? I just picked DVDFlick because it looked relatively easy to use.
    Quote Quote  
  12. As you can see it will work, it is free and if you choose your options properly it won't re-encode.

I myself use TDA3. It isn't free. There are several free ones.

Here is a link to one of them. note that the page has links to GUIs to make it easy to use.
    https://www.videohelp.com/tools/dvdauthor
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by bolintx
    TomLee In a word yes, 704x480 is a compliant format.
    From What is DVD, upperleft corner NTSC (NTSC Film)
    704x480 is listed as a standard. So why is it needing to encode again.

So does anybody have an idea why it needs to encode the video?
    Yes -- you are quite right (I've updated my previous erroneous comment as well). Your authoring tool is behaving as if it thinks only D1 is a legitimate choice. Unless there's some option you can set in its preferences menu, you may be out of luck with this tool.
    Quote Quote  
  14. I'll be interested in how DVDFlick works with 704 by 480 with the copy mpeg2 streams box ticked.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    it doesn't copy them, it forces to 720x480. Not sure if it is my stream or the software but it doesn't copy it reencodes.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Try VideoReDo on your files using the QuickStreamFix tool. You will need to request the free trial key which will remove the file size output limitation and allow it to run full featured. The QuickstreamFix tool has saved me many times.

http://www.videoredo.com/en/index.htm

In fact try VideoReDo TVSuite it will allow editing and DVD authoring. I used it with the trial key and it was OK.

It could be the best solution for you. A full featured editing tool for MPEG files as well as DVD authoring.

There is a link to the forums on the page I posted.

Good Luck
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search PM
    Just FYI, there is no 704x480 DVD format. There are 2 standard formats and those are 720x480:16x9 and 720x480:4x3 (along with another variable such as frame rate, but we won't get into that.)

That 704 resolution is the result of forcing pixels to be square to match the square pixels of your monitor. DVDs were not developed when square pixels were in style such as in todays HDTVs. In fact when DVD ripping software uses 704, you are actually losing data, if anything it should be stretching it to 864x480 for 16x9 and 720x648 for 4:3 (give or take a couple pixels). However most people can't tell the difference, and don't care to waste the additional space on stretched outward pixels.

You can see a paper I wrote on this a long time ago if you want to see the math and nitty gritty details:
    http://polymesh.nwcolor.com/docs/DVDAspectRatiosExplained.pdf
    Quote Quote  
  18. Wrong. The DVD specs allows the 704x480 format (as well as 720x480 and 352x480 plus the same widths x 576 for PAL, and 352x240 or 352x288 for small 1/4 resolutions). It is perfectly legit to use that 704x480/576 format, but it is true that it is not used often. In fact, there are 8 different formats: 4 for PAL and 4 for NTSC. They are respectively 720x576, 704x576, 352x576, 352x288, 720x480, 704x480, 352x480 and 352x240.

The 4:3 or 16:9 flag is totally independent of the resolution, and can be applied in the 8 cases. That makes a total of 16 formats, with 8 different resolutions for 2 video standards and 2 aspect ratios.

BTW, have you noticed that this thread is 6 years old?
    r0lZ - PgcEdit homepage Hosted by VideoHelp (Thanks Baldrick)
    - BD3D2MK3D A tool to convert 3D BD to 3D SBS/T&B/FS MKV
    Quote Quote  
  19. Yep, nothing like digging up an old thread to pass around bad information. I liked the part about 704x480 being square pixel also. Maybe polymesh should have read What Is DVD as was suggested to the OP earlier.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search PM
    You are correct. I was not aware of the lower supported resolutions. Were they supported by 1st gen home DVD players? I am skeptical of that. Though admittedly, I only cared about maximizing quality for the format back in the day.

And yes, I noticed this is an old thread, unfortunately just after I clicked "Submit Reply". Sorry for the spam.
    Quote Quote  
  21. No spam, and no problem, you're welcome.

Of course, you are right when you wrote that the highest resolution is the best. Since on DVD, no square pixel exist anyway, it is better to use the highest resolution anyway.

As far as I know, the DVD-specs have never evolved. And, yes, I think that all resolutions, including the small 1/4 res, were present in the early specs. But I may be wrong.
    r0lZ - PgcEdit homepage Hosted by VideoHelp (Thanks Baldrick)
    - BD3D2MK3D A tool to convert 3D BD to 3D SBS/T&B/FS MKV
    Quote Quote  
  22. Old thread, sorry. But for anyone else who comes across this, I think I know what the problem was. 704x480 is indeed a valid DVD compliant resolution. But DVDFlick doesn't allow you to use a 704x480 video. It will reencode to 720x480. In fact I tried a half dozen programs and for whatever reason none of them accept 704x480, except one. DVDStyler is the ONLY one that allows 704x480 without reencoding. Import the file and right click the title > Properties > Do not remultiplex/transcode. Good luck!
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by Sonic2 View Post
    DVDStyler is the ONLY one that allows 704x480 without reencoding.
    Maybe the only one of the few you tried. Any decent authoring program allows for all DVD-compliant resolutions besides just 720x480/576.

And, as mentioned earlier, what's the point of using DVDFlick anyway, just for authoring?
    Quote Quote