VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have been backing up a few of my blu-ray discs using the great guide found here https://forum.videohelp.com/topic350015.html. I have managed both complete copies (ie the entire contents of the original fit on a BD-R) and "stripped" copies (ie just the movie). I have come across an audio issue with "Rambo". It is too big for BD-R so I have followed the guide as I did in all the other instances to strip all the unwanted audio tracks / movie extras etc. I removed everything apart from the H.264 1080p video stream, the TRUEHD audio (the main track) and also the 6 channel ac3 audio. I thought this was the commentary track but it turns out to be the audio description track. Now when I play back the bd-r on my ps-3 there is perfect picture but no sound. I can select the other track I included (the ac3 audio description) and it plays fine, but when I return to track 1 (the TRUEHD audio) it goes quiet again. When I load my ripped disc into tsmuxergui it shows that all 3 streams are there (the H.264 video, the truehd audio and the ac3 audio). These streams are untouched and not been converted or compressed therefore should be the same as the original disc. My original blu-ray disc plays all audio just fine so why has the copy process left this audio not playing? I tried playing it on my PC in PowerDVD 7.3 but it is just the same so the ps3 isn't at fault. It must be something to do with the ripping process.

The audio description in tsmuxer gui shows "codec TRUE-HD lang eng track info Bitrate: 640Kbps AC3 + HD data. Sample rate: 48KHz Channels: 6" I am unsure of this "+HD data" bit. I think that this track seems to have the commentary included as an option (although how that works I don't know, on an old DVD it would be completely seperate audio for each language/commentary etc but I am new to TRUEHD so not sure how it works). If this is the issue, anyone know how to, or even if you can, strip this "+ HD data" from the TRUEHD leaving me with just the original 6channel AC3 sound?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    You might need to look at the BluRay forums on http://www.doom9.net for help with this. That's where the power BluRay users are, not here. You can always ask here and perhaps someone can help you, but if you don't get any replies, check out Doom9.

There's some program called eac3to that can strip out the AC3 and DTS cores from high def audio formats. You might look into that as playback of TrueHD on a PC is quite difficult and perhaps one of your problems is that your PC simply has no idea how to deal with the format. I don't have a PS3, but I know that it is picky about what it will play for consumer burned BluRay, so perhaps something in your process is just off enough to be a problem for it. Again, you may need help at Doom9 with this.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah, as jman98 suggested, try first converting your TrueHD audio to ac3.. Extract audio,then use eac3to to convert and remux...I don't burn to BR disc's ,but do burn to DVD disc's,and play on PS3...Hope it helps..
    Also the link you posted for the guide is not working,so not sure which guide you're using....

Edit: after going back an re-reading your post, if the ac3 6ch is all you need,then yeah just leave out the True HD when remuxing.....providing of course that's not the audio that's needed..
    Here's a guide to help with audio part..
    http://club.cdfreaks.com/f142/bd2dvd-blu-ray-dvd-guide-232165/
    " Who needs Google, my wife knows everything"
    Quote Quote